Fanuc 3m drip feed (DNC) conversion/upgrade

Fanuc 3M drip feed (DNC) conversion chips can be purchased from fanuc3mdripfeed.com for the lowest price anywhere I know; a little over $900. The price also includes chip sockets so inserting them into your main board is much easier, as well as a chip extractor for your old chips. They even include an anti-static wrist-band for goodness sake! Although they advise using someone conversant in handling electronics, their "Upgrade Instructions" and pictures take you step by step through the process and then go on to tell you how to use your new DNC ability. And before anyone asks me..... you DON'T need a tape reader on your machine.

But make sure you send your board number to them before purchase so you can be sure you get the right set of chips (it is located on the top right of your board) Their website even gives a picture of where it is. In fact the website gives a picture of everything, even including the direction the chips should be inserted and other potential pitfalls for the novice.

The site seems to be exclusively set up for Fanuc 3M drip feed conversions/upgrades for DNC control (as its web name suggests). Anyone considering adding DNC ability to their old Fanuc 3M should check it out before any decision is made. The other option is to buy a new machine. But you will not get much more by this cheap upgrade as your machine will have unlimited memory and 3D machining from your PC.

You might wonder how I know all this? I guess I'm still miffed that Fanuc tried to screw me with a new CNC machine when they must have known full well that this upgrade was available! I may not have a new machine, but for about $900 I obtained 3D machining, unlimited memory, unlimted program sizes, DNC (drip feed) and a control that can handle the latest CAD/CAM software. (= one black eye for Fanuc Corp!)

snipped-for-privacy@fanuc3mdripfeed.com

Reply to
TickByte

========= From the many posts to this NG, it appears that price gouging and scalping are now standard FANUC policy.

What is so unique about the FANUC controllers? Special/custom chips? Esoteric/arcane software?

How much of a market would exist for a generic multi axis controller that was plug compatible with the more popular FANUCs that used as much standard off-the-shelf hardware such as i/o ports and memory chips as practicable?

Anyone know what programming languages and bus protocols FANUC uses in their controllers?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

What's unique is how bad a FANUC control is to edit or create a G code program with.

It's hard to truly appreciate a Haas control unless you have tried to do serious editing with a FANUC control. A Haas is a wonderful control to edit with and to use. The rest of the machine is nothing to write home about.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Never allowed editing at the control. If edits need to be made the guy who produced the program (programmer) fixes it, that way it is less likely the mistake will be repeated in the future.

Maybe you should figure out & fix what you are doing wrong where you can't get good code the controller in the first place.

The HMC you were working on, you said the MasterCAM post processor produced unreliable and error prone G-Code. Instead of complaining about editing at the FANUC control, running your manual edits through NC-Plot, scraping parts and throwing associativity in the trash you should have fixed the root cause and made a simple fix the MasterCAM post.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

What's unique is how bad a FANUC control is to edit or create a G code program with.

It's hard to truly appreciate a Haas control unless you have tried to do serious editing with a FANUC control. A Haas is a wonderful control to edit with and to use. The rest of the machine is nothing to write home about.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Thought you used CAM, so why would you need to edit your CAM generated code at the controller? Didn't finish the videos?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

What's unique is how bad a FANUC control is to edit or create a G code program with.

It's hard to truly appreciate a Haas control unless you have tried to do serious editing with a FANUC control. A Haas is a wonderful control to edit with and to use. The rest of the machine is nothing to write home about.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Tom, I don't know if you caught it or not, but just in the last 3 weeks or so, Jon admitted to being completely clueless about Mastercam over on CNCZone, and then went on to say that he was finally getting some training after years of struggling.

That's why he was at the control, in his "zen" editing away.

Reply to
Joe788