SW to MasterCam to finished Product - How

People,

As a designer I'm always looking at new ways to do things. Some of the local machine shops are able to take prototype SW parts directly into Mastercam.

My question to the machining guru's out there is what is the process of doing so and what are the pitfalls. I can't imagine the M/G code being magically created from the imported geometry (no matter what the sales guy says).

Does it do it out of the box, do you need additional modules, what type of post importation process do you need to follow to generate the code.

Curious,

Len

Reply to
lmar

The process requires having the machining skill to know how to fixture and machine the part.

Mastercam and other CADCAM products use something called a post processor. The post processor is different for every CNC machine. It is the job of the post processor to convert the toolpaths that a machinist / CADCAM programmer creates in Mastercam to G code that the machine tool can understand.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

But according to Jon it's not important enough to fix even if you are generating unreliable error riddled G-Code. Problem is similar to his doing daily checks on his machine and finding out why the oil gage always reads zero, it's a pattern.

----------------------

[ The beautiful thing about working with this 1/2 million dollar horizontal machine with 12 pallets is that I spend very little time running parts and spend the majority of my time on programming, setting up and optimizing the program. ]- Jon Banquer - 12 May 2007 [ Some of our posts do need some work. Fixing them is not our shops / the owners / my highest priority right now. ]- Jon Banquer - July 1, 2007 [ Well Jon, since you HAD a high production machine not PRODUCING, maybe you should have considered fixing the MasterCAM post processor.

That quick and easy post processor fix would seem to be the highest priority vs. manually editing at the control, running your edits through NC-Plot to verify your edits. Where you were unnecessarily duplicating your efforts since your MasterCAM tool library will not import into NC-Plot all of this while your $500,000.00 machine sits idle.

Oh! and don't forget your edits at the control, what happens to associativity with the model? (Hint: Out the window)

By the way Jon, how long did you last at that Job? ] -brewertr-

-------------------------

Oil gage reads zero

[ If so it's at zero on both machines and stays at zero even during a tool change. ] -Jon Banquer-

So what does Jon have to say about an oil gage reading zero on a machine he runs?

[ Helpful post as I only have a casual interest and don't intend to make much of an effort in this area anytime soon.

When I get some time I might look into it more. It's not a high priority for me or for our shop ] -Jon Banquer-

Reply to
brewertr

The process requires having the machining skill to know how to fixture and machine the part.

Mastercam and other CADCAM products use something called a post processor. The post processor is different for every CNC machine. It is the job of the post processor to convert the toolpaths that a machinist / CADCAM programmer creates in Mastercam to G code that the machine tool can understand.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Reply to
madcadman

The truth comes out again. See banquer's latest post below:

Reply to
madcadman

It's that simple if you're an idiot. CAM software is just a tool for a skilled machinist to get the job done quicker. If you remove skilled machinist from the equation you get scrap and broken tools courtesy of some idiot who's name is either Cliff Huprich or Matt Lombard, neither of whom could machine their way out of a paper bag.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

"It's the most important tool." - Jon Banquer

CAM software is the MOST IMPORTANT tool, huh Jonnie?

Reply to
Joe788

It's that simple if you're an idiot. CAM software is just a tool for a skilled machinist to get the job done quicker. If you remove skilled machinist from the equation you get scrap and broken tools courtesy of some idiot who's name is either Cliff Huprich or Matt Lombard, neither of whom could machine their way out of a paper bag.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Can't keep those opinions straight again, huh?

How's your relationship with HSMWorks going?

Reply to
Joe788

It's that simple if you're an idiot. CAM software is just a tool for a skilled machinist to get the job done quicker. If you remove skilled machinist from the equation you get scrap and broken tools courtesy of some idiot who's name is either Cliff Huprich or Matt Lombard, neither of whom could machine their way out of a paper bag.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

So 8 months ago CAM software was THE MOST IMPORTANT tool, and now it's "just a tool"??

Man, it must be tough going through life being completely insane, and not being able to remember how violently you defended your stance a few months before, and then completely flip-flopping 180 degrees.

Does the intensive benefits package you're so proud of cover your shrink visits?

Reply to
Joe788