SW to MasterCam to finished Product - How

People,

As a designer I'm always looking at new ways to do things. Some of the local machine shops are able to take prototype SW parts directly into Mastercam.

My question to the machining guru's out there is what is the process of doing so and what are the pitfalls. I can't imagine the M/G code being magically created from the imported geometry (no matter what the sales guy says).

Does it do it out of the box, do you need additional modules, what type of post importation process do you need to follow to generate the code.

Curious,

Len

Reply to
lmar

But according to Jon it's not important enough to fix even if you are generating unreliable error riddled G-Code. Problem is similar to his doing daily checks on his machine and finding out why the oil gage always reads zero, it's a pattern.

----------------------

[ The beautiful thing about working with this 1/2 million dollar horizontal machine with 12 pallets is that I spend very little time running parts and spend the majority of my time on programming, setting up and optimizing the program. ]- Jon Banquer - 12 May 2007 [ Some of our posts do need some work. Fixing them is not our shops / the owners / my highest priority right now. ]- Jon Banquer - July 1, 2007 [ Well Jon, since you HAD a high production machine not PRODUCING, maybe you should have considered fixing the MasterCAM post processor.

That quick and easy post processor fix would seem to be the highest priority vs. manually editing at the control, running your edits through NC-Plot to verify your edits. Where you were unnecessarily duplicating your efforts since your MasterCAM tool library will not import into NC-Plot all of this while your $500,000.00 machine sits idle.

Oh! and don't forget your edits at the control, what happens to associativity with the model? (Hint: Out the window)

By the way Jon, how long did you last at that Job? ] -brewertr-

-------------------------

Oil gage reads zero

[ If so it's at zero on both machines and stays at zero even during a tool change. ] -Jon Banquer-

So what does Jon have to say about an oil gage reading zero on a machine he runs?

[ Helpful post as I only have a casual interest and don't intend to make much of an effort in this area anytime soon.

When I get some time I might look into it more. It's not a high priority for me or for our shop ] -Jon Banquer-

Reply to
brewertr

your basic steps would be as follows:

  1. create part in solidworks
  2. import part into mastercam
  3. create toolpaths in mastercam
  4. post your created toolpaths into a program that the cnc machine can read
  5. load program into your cnc machine
  6. cut part

its that simple.. well, simple is prolly an understatement, but thats the gist of it.

You wont need additional modules, depending on what version of mastercam you have/need. as for the posts, your VAR should get you all hooked up when you purchase mastercam...

Reply to
tnik

?
Reply to