Solidworks to CNC experinces

What are some of the software packages that enable Solidworks files to be read into CNC machines (Gibbs Cam in my case) that are actually worth the money? Different vendors I have spoken with say to avoid this CAD to CAM step like poison ivy, and continue making 2d prints. But other vendors are using CAD / CAM software very effectively (but they are not using Solidworks). I know most of our local vendor want to stay "old school" with the 2d prints, but I would like to go with sending a 3d model (for tooling paths, etc.. ) and have accurate part come in for use. Here are some questions I have. Please note this will be our first step in being "weened off" of 2d prints so my questions may come off as pretty clueless.

1) What CAD / CAM software packages are recommended for a company taking there first steps in reading SW data in the CNC world.

2) Are inspection prints still required? My concern is when the parts come in the door how does QA inspect the parts?

3) I have asked different people how they handle tolerances since there is no print to read 5.000 +/- .0004. The most popular reply is "Just use industry standards". How do you incorporate that into a 3d model assembly that is made from many different size parts with many different materials being used?

Thanks...

Reply to
dswarner

Can your QA use the 3D data. I used to work for a company that had a large CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) for checking large custom gauges. I am pretty sure that you could read 3D data into it although the QA there never took the time to figure out how valuable that would be, or even how to use it. I have also seen automated CMMs a CMM that does part checking on it's own. This would be used in a more production type setting. Say your vendor made 15 parts on your data and you needed to check 40 features on 15 parts. Then you use the automated CMM set the part on it set your orientation and watch it hit all the required points.

I have no idea if I even came close to answering your question in any way.

Regards

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I've been directly programming and machining 3D solid models from SW since it started (early 1996). Before that I was doing the same thing with 3D models from Pro-E, Ideas, U.G. and others. Data translation between modern systems is pretty much a non-issue anymore, as far as accurate geometry is concerned. Ten or fifteen years ago it was a different story, but still worked well "if" you knew how to set up your IGES output/input options for your specific systems.

IGES isn't used much anymore, but it amazes me how many CAM people still think it's their only choice. STEP, Parasolid(X_T), and ACIS(SAT), are much better translation formats. Any CAM program written in the last 5 or six years reads at least one (if not all) of these.

There are many different opinions about this method. In this area, a persons opinion tends to reflect what they're comfortable with. In my opinion complete, fully detailed, 2D prints are only necessary if you are writing line by line code "by hand". Geometry based CAM systems (like Gibbs) require, at least, 2D geometry before you can generate a single line of code. If your vendor will only accept paper, it means he's (you're) paying someone to recreate/duplicate what you've already done. It also opens up a huge possibility of errors, that you will pay for as well.

All mid range to high end CAM systems can read parasolid (X_T) files generated from SW. Many (like Mastercam and Gibbs) can read SW files directly. I use Mastercam myself, but their are many viable choices depending on what you need to do. Gibbs is very easy to generate code with, but the CAD front end is absolutely horrible (especially if you've ever used a decent CAD system). Camworks and Solidcam run fully integrated inside of SW. Camworks is a rules based system that takes quite a while to set up. Don't know about Solidcam, never used it.

You'll still need 2D prints for inspection, if that's how you're set up. It's possible to set up paperless inspection, but it ain't a slam dunk. you'll have to put some serious thought into it. Don't try changing too many things at once. You'll probably have to find some new vendors as well. Allot of the remaining old school shops are the real hardcore, hard liners. With many, it's not just a matter of learning new methods. Often there's a visceral fear associated with change. This makes it emotional, not logical. If the vendor needs to be brow beaten into doing it, you're better off going somwhere else. I haven't done business with any outside shops that won't work with 3D models in many years.

What you will save is the time it takes to convert a 2D paper print into machine code, and the inevitable errors that accompany the process

Unfortunately (today), only geometry is supported through the various available formats. What most people do is include a drawing that only defines critical features, their relationships, and tolerances. If the shop is good, this usually applies to anything tighter than +-.001. This is assuming that your models are geometrically accurate.

Good Luck

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

you have to design the parts with the idea that these designs are to be actual parts no fudging of the data base. If you get the data base from others you are at their mercy. We make 8.5 x 11 prints just for notes everything else goes from data base to cam .

elliott

Reply to
elliott

This includes toleranceing the real dimension. No +.020/+.010 "tricks". The model is almost always to be *nominal* .... as it is what will be produced as the target design.

No zero thickness divisions between mating parts ...

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Thank you for all of the information regarding this 3d model to CAM cross over. Now I at least have some direction in which to proceed. The biggest thing is that it sounds like 3d model in CAM is not as "Black Magic" as people have made it sound. Thanks again... Dan

Reply to
dswarner

Jerry,

STEP is extra, but Parasolid is standard with all mill levels, (lathe and wire as well). Mastercam uses parasolid for it's solid module. In my opinion it works better than STEP.

MC solids are extra, but even without it, it can still read parasolid in as surfaces and boundary curves. There are several advantages to this.

1.) Parasolid surfaces are cleaner and more accurate than IGES 2.) The surfaces come in with all of the normals facing the right way 3.) Parasolid files are as much as 100 times smaller than the equivalent IGES

Like SW, Mastercam can read any parasolid file equal to, or less than, the current MC version. Mastercam 8 thru 8.1.1 uses parasolid 12, version 9 thru

9.1 uses 14.1. I think version 7 used parasoild 9 or 10

The only time i've known the parasolid translator not to work, is with a student edition, or a poorly cracked (FlexLM hack) pirated copy. Or, of course, if they're using a very old version of MC like ver 6.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Its my experience that mastercam's file translators are the best (overall) Ive seen in any package, cad OR cam.

Their DWG importer is the only one Ive seen that can handle embedded acis....

But I think Gibbs CAD *is* pretty good, possibly REAL good if you measure by CAM program standards. Its just that the app started out life as a Mac app, and still hasnt shaken out all the interface anomolies.

Reply to
rocheey