Is someone here designing furniture?

Hi.

Is someone in this group designing furniture ?

I want to ask few questions (For example: Is SW a good choice for designing furniture?, etc.)

I am also searching for *good* websites about "furniture design"........

Thanks in advance for reply!

Jaro

Reply to
Jaro735

Jaro735 wrote on 30.9.2003 22:44

Yes.

Yes, but it may depend on what type of furniture you want to do. If you are only interested in the front end "design" or if you are interested (also) in production. But I use it for both.

Ask away!

Um.... No idea.

Dan

Reply to
daniel

Check this out...

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Yep.

I think it's great, there is certain things that you might have to "think before you do", but generally it's very nice tool for furniture.

SW-users:

Markku Lehtola

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the free plug!!!

Keep in mind though that the Interiorworks furniture was not designed so much as furniture, but rather as a tool for other design in which the furnitire of of use for ergonomic testing, etc. In other words, the models are relatively simple, and are all single parts rather than assemblies (so that they can be used in the pallette).

Cheers Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

Finally spent some time tarting up my solidworks skull... Got so exited by it that I had to stick it in a little scene so that I could send it in for the sw contest...

Cheers Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

design"........

Try

are 3d files you can download. Unfortunately only dwg, dxf and 3ds formats.

--=20 Neville Williams Cad Design & 3D Visualisation ZAxiS (remove the "knot" to reply)

Reply to
Nev Williams

excellent! looks really good as a background...

Reply to
Rollie

Hi

Sorry for little off-topic.

I am total newbie in furniture design But i know (a little) MCAD software.........

Can you explain how looks from A to Z (step by step) furniture design (for production purpose) ??

What the production furniture project consist of?

Thanks in advance for answers!

Jaro

Reply to
Jaro735

My list is (production project [only engineer work - no marketing, selling,...]):

  1. Making "design" in Rhino 3D, Maya, LightWave or other GFX software.
  2. Making parts in CAD-3D software
  3. Making assembly in CAD-3D software
  4. Applying material and Chcecking strength of model/project in CAE (FEM) software
  5. Optimization of project using CAE software
  6. Making 2D documentation.
  7. Making CNC codes for production using CAM software
  8. Rapid prototyping/modeling --> Checking ---> Bug fixing -- Go to step 4

Everything ?? Did I miss something ??

Thanks in advance for answers!

Reply to
Jaro735

I am not completely clear on what you are looking for, but here are a few comments on your list:

One basic point - it really depends on what you are doing. Highly industrialized office furniture or task seating, wooden furniture, low volume, high volume, etc..

Jaro735 wrote on 2.10.2003 21:45

  1. Research! You may need human factors data, or information about special production processes to inform your design and engineering process.

Those are fine for concept and visualization, but not so great for transitioning into production (rhino being a bit of an exception there).

"However" it is again dependent on what you are doing. I just did a retail store and all the furniture was done start to finish in SW. However, the final construction details were sorted out by the shopfitting company. So my drawings were only general size, fit, and finish details (Sometimes taken as suggestions rather than the way to do it... Unfortunately).

But that is different from a manufacturer who is making thousands of units.

On that shop project SW was a bit overkill as I could have done it "almost" faster with quick orthographic drawings. However, when it came to revisions SW paid off! And clients like revisions... (to make - not to pay).

2 and 3 are the same thing in SW.

I think you will find FEM is not used a lot in furniture. In my experience it is faster and more reliable to make a quick model or prototype as it is often a combination of look and feel, not a numerical result on a computer screen. But others may disagree with me....

Many design revision cycles...

You may have done this several times already for prototypes...

In my case the bug fixing is everything from design to "how the hell do I model that" issues... :-)

Hope that is helpful,

Daniel

Reply to
daniel

Yei it is helpful.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY much.

Now I know more or less about it. Thanks!

Can you give me link to website, or send some materials (PDF, text or sth like this), where i can read more about furniture design ?

Cheers.

Reply to
Jaro735

Reply to