Someday is here !

Several years ago , while browsing in one of the tourist trap secondhand stores here , I bought a saw tooth setting device for hand saws because I just knew someday I'd need it . Well , today I needed it . I have some pocket cuts to make on the support timbers (6x6's)for our new kitchen , and they need to be pretty precise . Too deep for the circular saw , chainsaw is no way going to do it , and the recip saw has a tendency to wander on deep cuts ... so today I tuned up a crosscut and a rip hand saw . Reset the teeth and sharpened them with a tricorner file and now we're cookin' . I'll likely use the smallest chainsaw to rough the pocket in , cutting a quarter inch long of the mark so I'll only have a sliver to trim off .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

When I notch beams into columns I clamp the beam to the column, clamp blocks of scrap 2x4 above and below it, remove the beam and guide a thin Japanese type pull saw in along the 2x4. This puts the saw kerf within the mortice space. Then I hog out enough with a chainsaw to make chiseling the rest easy. Typically the fit is close enough to pound together with my fist.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I useta have a nice Japanese (originally from Japan!) pull saw . Then one of my coworkers decided it would work good to cut off some protruding nails ... and he knew damn well what was going to happen . Let's just say he wasn't my friend - and he did this while I was not there . These are open at the top , I'm cutting a ledge to support the beams and leaving a vertical tongue to bolt to . Other side will get a plate of 11 ga held with bolts thru the tongue/beam/plate and lags below the beam into the post.

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Excellent. Saw sets work well and easily, making the saw work much more easily for you. Ditto files.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ryobas RULE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did you show him how to rivet his nuts together the next time you saw him?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would have had ne branded as a racist ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Too bad you couldn't prove it was racism the other direction. But, as we all know (from themselves, the media, and the politicians) people of color can't be racist.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Too much red flux gets in the way. No, multiple hammer swings while the nuttee is watching is much more refreshing, I think.

It's all about fairness. Some old book mentioned "an eye for an eye."

Reply to
Larry Jaques