Advice needed - steel furniture design

I'm designing a piece of computer related furniture to be made primarily out of rectangular steel tubing and I'd like to have a prototype made, to be followed by small scale production on a monthly basis. I'd appreciate any advice on the best (i.e. cheapest) way to go about this (e.g. sourcing the tubing and having the fabrication, welding and finishing done myself, or contracting the whole process out to a furniture manufacturer).

I've searched for ready made components, such as steel table legs, that I could possibly use instead of having them built from scratch, but prices are quite high. Does anyone know of a good source for such items? TIA.

Reply to
Sb083459

I can probably help you figure out manufacturing. Can you send me a drawing? I have built a lot of furniture.

Are you looking locally for a fabricator?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If you are willing to do the work yourself, there is no limit to what you can build. If you just want to use square tubing, round tubing, flat bar, etc, you will find all you need at local suppliers. If you want decorative legs and components, check with decorativeiron.com for legs and such.

When you compare what it costs to build it yourself, there IS no comparison to buying or having someone else do the work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Shameless plug from a proud papa; Try contacting my son Adam at:

He can help you out with components or complete assemblies. He started his business in a corner of a buddy's shop about seven years ago and I've watched him grow it to where it's now vertically integrated ... from NC rotary punch presses right through to some big powder coat finishing ovens.

His company makes all sorts of steel "specials" most of which can be classifiedas being in the general category of "furniture". His most recent unusual project was a batch of folding portable voting booths for the City of Boston.

Good luck,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I would do it myself, except for the fact that I know almost nothing about metalworking or welding. All I'd be able to do is paint ;) Plus, if there's any demand for the product, we'll need the items mass produced.

One component of the furniture will be height adjustable tubular legs, with one tube fitting into a larger one, being locked in place by an adjustment knob or screw. Does anyone know the best way to implement this? I've seen various furniture pieces with extruded nylon or plastic sleeves/liners that fit into the larger tube, acting as a cushion/bearing against the smaller tube. Sort of like a hollow end plug. Can anyone suggest a source for these items? Also, what's the best way to thread the hole in the larger tube to accept the height adjustment screw? For heavy loads, perhaps it would make sense to drill a series of holes in the smaller tube and use a screw or pin that would extend through both tubes. Or perhaps someone knows of a source for ready made assemblies like this?

With respect to the finishing process, I've check with local shops that do blating and powder coating, and all were expensive. I'm wondering if there are larger shops that will group small jobs together with a larger customer's powder coating job, in order to reduce setup costs. Thanks!

Reply to
Maw888

sell lots of different feet.

There is very little setup cost to powder coating, unless you want a custom color.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler