Metal Building Components

Steve, I know it was clear to you when you wrote it, but "a metal structure" is not a very precise term. It could cover anything from a pot metal toothbrush rack to the Brooklyn Bridge.

What kind of metal? What kind of structure?

Is this a simple shed with sheet metal studs? A carport made of aluminum tubing?

In general, I recommend designing it with materials that are easy to buy, and simply buying new. If you're working with used structural steel, you enormously increase your labor by having to clean off old paint and/or rust.

You don't mention if you are a welder or not. If you are a welder and can weld most metals, it seems unlikely you would need to make such a posting. Can you weld aluminum? If you are planning to drill holes and use fasteners, be aware that is a real chore. Drilling takes 20X as long as punching.

There is not only knowledge, but a whole lot of gear you need to do most metal fabrication. You may find yourself needing something like 24 C-clamps, for example.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

After talking with several people who insulted my intelligence re: constructing a metal structure, I have decided to build it myself. With some help at the proper times.

I shall have the foundation poured by a friend who is familiar with metal building foundations.

I am going to start looking for materials. Things on sale. Local Tradio ads for people who may have pieces and parts they want to sell. Things like that.

Where can I get a helpful book, or do you know a helpful site where I can find the terms and descriptions of the materials?

I know I can build this for a lot less than they want.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Buy a kit - several outfits on the 'net that let you design what you want . Put it on your foundation/floor slab . I've been looking at this option for when I can afford to move to my HillBilly HideAway in the Ozarks .

Reply to
Snag

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:01:22 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Did you ever confer with Steamboat Ed Haas about his building possibly meeting your needs last May, Steve? 30x72' or some portion thereof.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
RoyJ

A few big names in the game: Varco Pruden MBCI Alliance Steel

I don't know that anyone will provide an erection manual ( no, not that kind . . .) just because, but it never hurts to ask.

Things to learn about: Panel gauge - 26 gauge for normal commercial Panel pattern - R panel is basic 3' sheet with 3 rib pattern. Panel finish - Galvalume is common for roof, often 29 gauge. Fiberglass skylight panels Ridge venting Standing seam Clear span frames Gable end framing Z girts or C girts Roof girts Roof purlins - bay spacing Insulation systems - Use chicken wire with vinyl faced Bird stop Gutter and trim

Make sure that you know what frame/bolt pattern and door layout you will use before pouring any floor. Create a sheet iron pocket for weather seal, stop at doors. Recess overhead door openings.

Reply to
DanG

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

I want to build a shop, minimum 1200 sf, 12' eave from ground elevation, four bay roll up doors, six 4o6o windows, 4 passage doors, and three skylights.

I know there are some things in there that are different than "normal" construction materials. All I was seeking was a dictionary/glossary type publication so I can start identifying and locating components.

I know about used stuff, having been in the business. Yet, sometimes the dirt cheap price makes it worth while. And leftover stuff, or just stuff at pennies on the dollar is a bargain any day. Basically studs, girts, purlins, columns, fasteners, etc.

And I have welded for 33 years now.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks. Good advice. I was just insulted by a guy that wanted $65, for a

1,500 sf building with four rollups, four doors, four windows and three skylights. Next guy down was slightly less, lowest was $31k which was getting into the reasonable range.

Same gauge metal, same specs.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Give Kevin Huff a call at (970)675-2649.

He custom builds steel buildings, primarily for pipeline stations, and can fill you in on how to do an excellent job without breaking the bank.

Reply to
RAM³

--Howzabout 2,000 square foot building for, say, $6k. All ya gotta do is come and get it. Where you located? I'm in Northern California.

Reply to
steamer