Laser cutting - how expensive is it for cutting stainless, brass and copper sheeting

Has anyone had any parts laser cut?
Is it expensive?
I want to have some flat stainless, brass, and copper sheeting cut, and I
will furnish the patterns.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
Yes, it's expensive. But, well worth it for the right job. I've had some 3/8ths stainless laser cut.
They don't use patterns, it's all cnc afaik
Reply to
Dave Lyon
you could try water jetting. it's also cnc.
Reply to
Charles Spitzer
I've had a variety of items laser cut in stainless ranging from 1mm to 3mm and 16swg brass. Both worked out far cheaper and easier than if I had to cut them myself when you take into account your time and what a PITA stainless can be. I just provided a DXF file from a fairly basic CAD package and they did the rest. If you can generate the DXF file just ask some companies for a quote. My local laser cutter will do brass and copper, even glass upto 2mm but apparently not all do brass and copper as it can cause issues with the laser.
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
Steve Send me a photo with dimension & alloy, and I'll send you a quote.
Eileen snipped-for-privacy@polich.com Dave Ly> > Has anyone had any parts laser cut?
Reply to
ej
I've had 304 stainless, 0.020" thick, laser cut. Shape was a 45 deg arc about 2" inner radius, 4" outer radius, with straight sections on each side extending another 2" per side. Sent an autocad file to a local shop and they supply the material and cut them for $5 each in qty of 100 per order. Oh, this is in MD, USA.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net
Reply to
Carl Ijames
Depending on how thick the metal is, you may want to look into photo-etching, either by yourself, or find someone in the area who does. Brass and copper can be photo etched with Ferric Chloride, which you can get at any Radio Shack, or with other mixtures. Stainless, however, I'm not sure about. I believe nitric acid is one, but I don't know how to get or make it in my area so I don't do stainless, only brass and copper. Once you learn how to do it properly, you have a lot of control over the results. Depending on the area you're in, you may be able to find someone to photo etch the parts for you cheaper than laser/CNC would be especially if you only need a small amount of parts. I do not have 'minimum runs', though I do have minimum pricing (depending on the order) for setup/materials, so my customers don't have to order 500 parts just for one piece they need (mostly hobbyists who need brass parts).
This is really only good for shim metal, about .015" thick or less, .032" can be done but is more difficult/time consuming. If you're trying to engrave thick plaques or badges, laser/CNC is the way to go.
Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises
I have had 5/16" steel plate cut to a fancy shape by Laser. I sent them a simple high contrast image (black on white). They converted it to the needed code. I needed 12 pieces. Was well worth it. The price will depend, to some degree on how many pieces of the same thing you want. Some of the guys around here choose water jet cutting instead of the laser.
Pete Stanaitis ------------------
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
spaco
Been checking out the water jet cutting, too. I have found a source of stainless steel locally for $2.75 per pound for flat rems. Have some local companies that do laser cutting, and will see if anyone waterjet cuts locally.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I use both water jet and laser services. on a .062 stainless plate, the water jet speed is about 120 inches a minute. I don't know how fast the laser cuts on the same material but it costs about 1/3 more. The laser doesn't leave an edge on the bottom of the cut like the water jet does. The water jet pieces have to be tumbled to clean them up. The laser can hold a closer tolerance than the water jet. It all depends on what you require. The water jet runs about 150 an hour.
John
Reply to
John
Yep - I'm a Plasma CNC owner myself.
5/16 is easy. I burn 3/8 all of the time.
Martin - Deep East Texas. Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
spaco wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn