Laser or plasma

While recently in Mexico, there is a glut of metal sculpture, not a piece of which I saw bought. Schools of fishes, large sailfish, small sailfish,
three dimensional trees all cut out of a flat piece of metal, then pushed out to achieve depth. I can see the cuts, and they are definitely either plasma or laser. Some of them are very thin. How is it possible to differentiate between laser cut goods and plasma cut? Just how thin can a plasma cut be?
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

I've seen the same stuff in south FL. It looks to be done with an inexpensive CNC plasma.
There is a HUGE range in plasma cutter quality. Goes from looking like a cheap Oxy torch all the way to almost laser with the fine cut consumable oxygen units.
"The Kid's" full time job is lead man on a bank of laser cutting machines. The new unit cost $300K ($600K with the accessories) and it cuts to 1 thou tolerance with a mirror smooth edge. They put a lot of stuff on that laser that used to be CNC milled.
Karl

A lot of the stuff I saw was hair line thickness, with very little kerf, and very little start up residue. Apparently, either plasma CNC or laser has made it to the tourista market, but I ain't paying $50 for one fish, nor $100 for a small school of fishes, and in the days and days of shopping, I didn't see anyone else ponying up the $$$.
Fine looking stuff. But at those prices, it was "WHOA!". I can see some time there on either a plasma or laser cnc, and some airbrushing, but the prices were way out of line. In San Jose Cabo, the prices were way out of line on everything. It seems like these guys meet every Thursday and discuss the price of the week.
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
"Steve B" > Fine looking stuff. But at those prices, it was "WHOA!". I can see some

Like that fan repair job, eih?
Forwarded from RCM....

Like that fan repair job, eih?

Swallow your meds whole. DO NOT CHEW THEM!

oooh ooooh ! Did I poke you with a stick? Aren't you the one worth $$$$$$/hr? But no one else is? And you're broke? ;>)}

I'm far from broke. One of the ways I keep money is not to spend it on things that are overpriced. Life's pretty good at my house, or wherever I'm staying in the world. How's it on your end?
Just got back from a week here:
http://thegrandmayan.com /
You might want to try it. Very relaxing. I can sell you one of my weeks if you're interested.
Steve
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Perhaps you are the one 'overpriced', eih? ;>)}

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Steve

This is how rich people talk. I adhere to the same philosophy.

On 2/1/2012 11:28 AM, Steve B wrote:

Careful now, if that is a time share, I might start a discussion about the economics of timeshares! Starting with, how much is your weekly maintenance fee? I could have a pretty good vacation on just the maintenance fee on some timeshares.
On the other hand, not spending on overpriced things is a good start, but people waste so much money on useless items that do nothing except give them immediate gratification. My pet example paying $1.50 for a soda when you can by a 12 pack at about $0.20 a can. Although I don't drink much soda anymore, I do enjoy one when we have tacos.
Mike

Is there anyone here who, twenty years ago, would have agreed that one day we would be buying bottled water at the check out stand for $1+ per bottle.
I'm as guilty as anyone, but I DO make an attempt to watch the pennies. After that, the dollars take care of themselves. We refill our plastic water bottles out of our kitchen RO unit. We have a shelf for US and people we don't like, and a shelf of sealed bottles for company. There are many things that one can save a buck or two here and there, restaurant menus being one of them. Stacks of store coupons sitting there when you walk into a store is another. Free money for the taking.
Steve
On 2/2/2012 1:47 PM, Steve B wrote:

Yes, that was a joke years ago. Hey buddy, I have this business plan, "We're going put water in bottles and sell it to people." Mikek

Unlike you, I've seen Ernie weld. His work is worth every penny he charges.
Is yours?
--
Tin Lizzie
"Elephant- A mouse built to government specs." - Lazarus Long

By the tone and look of this, you may have me mixed up with Phil Kangas. Please do not do so.
I only wrote the part up until the word "Steve".
Thank you.
And Ernie is one of those welders where I would take a one chance fix it or lose it one of a kind part, and bet that 99.9% of the time, I'd get it backed properly fixed. And my question would not be how much, just when could I pick it up.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Ah. Sorry. Yes, my comment was directed towards P.K., not you.
--
Tin Lizzie
"Elephant- A mouse built to government specs." - Lazarus Long

Thank you.
Steve
says...

Fuck both of you..........
Phil Kangas wrote:

Hadn't seen anything from either of them that called for that response . Perhaps YOU misunderstood something or attributed it to the wrong person ? Only prices I saw quoted were Ernie's . And I agree with Steve's assessment of Ernie's skills .
--
Snag
Learning keeps