Welding a bobcat backhoe bucket

I bought a backhoe bucket for a Bobcat, as part of a big package deal (not complaining).

The bucket has rust and rusted through on one side.

Can I just take a 1/8 steel plate and weld it as a patch? Should I do it on the outside or inside?

I could also just sell it as is, with rust damage shown.

Ignoramus18451

Ignoramus18451 fired this volley in news:X7SdnQ02xuv0bbzSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sell it as-is, and "discount" it based upon what it would cost you to do the patch.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I do this sort of thing all the time.

In general, I cut the bad area out, then make new parts fit just right and weld in. A bit a grinding and its better than new.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don't forget the hardfacing on the key wear edges...

Reply to
Pete C.

Karl has posted the correct method - replacing the section rather than scabbing on a patch. Cut it out, bevel the edges, weld it in. Stronger, doesn't screw up the way the bucket digs.

However the correct method for you is sell at a price where someone else gets to do that. I'd be stunned if you got your money back on taking the time to repair it.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Yep, screw it, I will just take honest pictures and sell it as shown. I am completely buried in stuff to do. Plus people call me every 15 minutes about something or other, very distracting.

I now have a very efficient way of listing stuff for sale. My employee cleans stuff, assigns inventory numbers, and photographs. Then he connects the camera and runs a Linux bash shell function that saves pictures from camera, resizes them, and saves them in folders by inventory numbers.

They are uploaded to my webserver in batches.

Then I get a cart with stuff to my office, where I write descriptions and do pricing. I can list stuff at the rate of two minutes per item.

When phone calls come in the middle of my listing, it is kind of distracting.

Ignoramus9985

Clean it up really good, get off the loose rust, grind down to good metal and put a coat of penetrating rust-stop on the rest. DO NOT use a zinc cold galvanize, it'll mess up the lungs of the next guy to weld on it.

This is not to try and hide the damage, it's to make an honest showing of "We've cleaned it up and stopped the rust, and these are the areas that need to be replaced." Then the buyer doesn't get the feeling of a pig in a poke.

You can prime or paint the rest of it, but I'd leave the bad parts in rust-stop or Weld-Through Primer only. Someone will be welding on it.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Bruce, this is an excavator bucket, no paint is going to hold up to its use.

Ignoramus27096