fixing small backhoe bucket teeth?

I finally got the little bucket from my father-in-law, the one I'm going to replace the hogged-out pin holes on, and I noticed it's missing one of its four teeth. The teeth apparently pin onto fingers that extend from a plate. The missing tooth has been gone for awhile because the finger it slips over is worn down to a nub.

I'll shoot a picture later.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Rebuild the nub with weld deposit and grind it to perfection? Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Go to your local equipment dealer with one of the remaining teeth you've removed and buy a new one. They are consumable items like saw blades, when they're shot you just replace them.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Buy a new shank (finger), gouge or grind off the remains of the old one, weld on the new one. Get a tooth to cover it as well.

Yah, you could build it back up - but it's time-inefficient.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

IF you run a bucket with a tooth missing you are going to have to replace both the tooth and the shank / nubb. If the shank gets at all worn the tooth won't fit right and will fall off while digging. If it were my machine and not used commercially I would just weld on the tooth over the shank and forget it. It will be a long time before you wear out the tooth. You will also save yourself the price of a shank and pin as well as removing the old shank and putting on a new one. The teeth are designed to be easily changed in the field by just knocking out the pin and installing the new tooth and pin.

John

Reply to
John

I would not be inclined to do this unless the bucket really is crap. It's messy and the teeth don't always stay on. I have an old bucket on which someone did this, and the welds failed.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I guess it all depends on how good of welder you are. Either way will work. If you got all the tools and are going to be running commercial digging then go for it. Don't let the guy that did the messy job of welding teeth on touch your bucket again. :) Religate him to only be certified to use superglue.

John

Reply to
john