RFR:Online Metal Companies

I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are
quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best
per-inch pricing?
TIA- Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
I have only ordered from here once, recently, and am impressed. I got a chunk of aluminum 3.5 x 12 x 14 within 3 or 4 days. There's a company in Michigan that couldn't deliver more common stock in a month, twice.
Randy
Reply to
Randy Replogle
Seconded with enthusiasm. I used to work a few blocks from their New Berlin location, was a great source. Only complaint I have is with one chunk of 4140 I got from them which was strongly magnetized, which was a bit of a bitch for chip-clearing and general cleanup.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
I buy stuff from McMaster-Carr from time to time. Price may not be the cheapest but service is second to none in my opinion.
Reply to
Gerry
Steel and Cast Iron: Peterson Steel, Worcester MA
Non ferrous materials:
Metal Source, Woburn MA ask for Ed
Both will sell by the length or by the inch.
Errol Groff
Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School 613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239
New England Model Engineering Society
Errol Groff
If you don't mind using eBay, I've had good luck buying from
I usually go with whomever has what I'm looking for on auction in quantities I need for that week. I've only bought mild steel, nothing exotic. --Glenn Lyford
Reply to
glyford
In their library, this document ("Elements") gives a paragraph's description of the effects of various elements when used to alloy steel:
and this - parameters of materials and their measurement (library document "Definition of Material Testing Methods"):
Good broad-brush descriptions.
HOWEVER, the site does not have prices! Damn, I hate that. There are about 40 items on their "Products" page - how hard would it be to include the $/lb for each?
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Site Timeline