RFR:Online Metal Companies

I'm looking for a recommendation for an online metal supplier. My needs are quite modest- I have no use for 12 foot long bar stock. Who has the best per-inch pricing?

TIA- Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I have only ordered from here once, recently, and am impressed. I got a chunk of aluminum 3.5 x 12 x 14 within 3 or 4 days. There's a company in Michigan that couldn't deliver more common stock in a month, twice.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I vote for onlinemetals.com - they're a decent outfit.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Seconded with enthusiasm. I used to work a few blocks from their New Berlin location, was a great source. Only complaint I have is with one chunk of 4140 I got from them which was strongly magnetized, which was a bit of a bitch for chip-clearing and general cleanup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I buy stuff from McMaster-Carr from time to time. Price may not be the cheapest but service is second to none in my opinion.

Reply to
Gerry

Steel and Cast Iron: Peterson Steel, Worcester MA

Non ferrous materials:

Metal Source, Woburn MA ask for Ed

Both will sell by the length or by the inch.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

If you don't mind using eBay, I've had good luck buying from

I usually go with whomever has what I'm looking for on auction in quantities I need for that week. I've only bought mild steel, nothing exotic. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

In their library, this document ("Elements") gives a paragraph's description of the effects of various elements when used to alloy steel:

and this - parameters of materials and their measurement (library document "Definition of Material Testing Methods"):
Good broad-brush descriptions.

HOWEVER, the site does not have prices! Damn, I hate that. There are about 40 items on their "Products" page - how hard would it be to include the $/lb for each?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt