Sheet metal folder plans

I could do with a small sheet metal folder as since leaving work I've lost the ability to pop into their workshop and use one from time to time. They will still let me go in and use it but I have to call in favours and so would rather save those for the bigger jobs.

Most of the time I possibly only need 12" capacity and fold up to 16swg steel/14swg aluminium alloy. I'm assuming the offerings from Clarke/Sealey and RDG are made from high tensile licorice(copyright 2010 Stevenson)and best avoided. I have a lathe, mill and Mig welder so should be able to make something.

Has anyone any recommendations for plans/books on the subject?

Is the Dave Gingery book any good?

All inputs welcome.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No plans ..but here is one i bought NEW a few years ago for =A325

from the pictures you should get some idea how its constructed and works.

does evverything I ask of it .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

In article , Bob Minchin writes

Would one of these suit?

The only one which is specced to do 12" x 16 swg is, strangely, the mini-bender, but the others might suit. Warco have a pretty good reputation.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Op 26-2-2010, heeft Bob Minchin verondersteld :

The Gingery book has plans for a 15 - 30" brake that can do ordinaire ducting and seaming work (which is explained also). Very detailed. Looks sturdy, using standard channels and angles, quick release clamps on top. Have not built it yet as my home fumbled one still works. Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

Thanks Mark,

It certainly looks solidly made with that bracing to the angle.

I assume there is a third length of angle behind the pivot plates to form the lower fixed jaw.

Interested to note that there is no adjustment for metal thickness (apart from the clamp). How well does it cope with thinner material? Do you still get a tight fold?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob,

I bought a Clarke bender and have no reason not to knock it, it does all I want at a cost not worth making one.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Thanks David, Yes Warco are a class above the Clarkes of this world. Maybe I'll seek them out at a show to have a look. The Mini Bender is the only one I have seen using that principle. I'm a little concerned that the way the blade is operated means that it does cannot move vertically and that might make it difficult to get the fold exactly where it is wanted. I've used a blade and vee block type before fitted to a fly press and even with the extra visibility that offers it is still quite ticklish to get it right (for me anyway!)

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Martin, The only Clarke one I can find is only specified to 22swg online (22mm in the catalogue!!)

this the one you have? model no CMF24B.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

there is 1-5 mm radius on most folds

there is nothing stopping you putting an extra adjustble nose peice on it

i prefer the radius rather than a razor sharp 90 degree bend

it will bend 1/8 thick x 1 wide bar ok as well....any wider and you would need two people on it

thinner stuff is great as well

yep 3rd angle behind ..

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

MachineMart do a simple up to 600mm (24") wide / 22swg metal folder for £46.98 incl VAT which fits into a bench vice see:

It wouldn't be too difficult to make something similar.

According to their catalogue, Warco do a vice mounted "mini Bender" which will take up to 12" x 22 swg mild steel it's part no.7073. However their website says up to 16swg see

For smaller widths they also do cheap "vice brakes" which are held by strong magnets between the jaws of a chuck part no.s 8986.4 .5 and .6. See
and search for vice brake in the product finder box.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Reply to
campingstoveman

In article , Bob Minchin writes

I must say I like the look of the Magnum bender - though it only does 6" wide, it works up to 3mm steel. Saw a review of it somewhere in the last year or two which was extremely positive. I would have bought one, but I don't really do enough metal bending to justify it.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Bob , follow this link to the Aussie woodwork forums , it has a metal working section and drawings for a panbrake folder with adjustable fingers.

Kev

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Thanks Kev,

I think I passed the intelligence test and found the thread here

Absolutely first class and will be easy to adapt to my needs.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob My apologies for not including the link ,must have had an "old timers attack." Quite a few have built it and report that it's a very sturdy and useful piece of kit .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)