Putting a curve into a sheet metal U channel

I need to put about a 30 degree curve into a piece of sheet metal U channel, curve needs to have a radius of 100mm.

Channel is 75mm wide x 15mm deep with 15mm flanges, made out of .75mm sheet.

I dont have access to rollers - not sure how they'd be any use. I've got an hydraulic press brake, plus usual workshop tools.

Why is everyone so cruel

First ? is- a curve which way?

Where the side walls form the inner and outer radii, or where the bottom of the U is the inner or outer radius?

Then, U channel as in curved bottom of the U, or flat? ( U vs | _| )

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Is it just one? Fabrication may be easier - cut, weld, grind...

Reply to
Dennis

Look for books on aircraft sheet metal fabrication.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You left out a really important bit of information........which way it "curves". There are four simple possibilities, of which two are just "handed", and the extreme difference between bending "in" or "out".

Reply to
Brian Lawson

If you are bending the flanges this might work.

the other way means fabbing it. Steve

Reply to
Up North

First ? is- a curve which way?

Where the side walls form the inner and outer radii, or where the bottom of the U is the inner or outer radius?

Then, U channel as in curved bottom of the U, or flat? ( U vs | _| )

As Simpson says "DOH"

The curve is across the open top of the U, The flanges to be welded onto adjacent steel with the curve.

Dave

Reply to
Why is everyone so cruel

I added a layer of > marks. (You should make your newsreader indicate quotes by adding > markers at left of quoted lines.)

Your answer isn't perfectly clear to me, but I'm assuming the axis of the bend is perpendicular to the long axis of the channel and that the channel has a flat bottom 75mm wide which will bend "the easy way", while the 15mm sides are bending "the hard way" and in compression.

How much crumpling of the sides can you tolerate? Crumpling will be hard to avoid unless you have a tight-fitting steel die outside the channel, and a tight-fitting 100mm-radius steel former inside the channel, to form the bend on your press. If you make the die and former with thick MDF, some crumpling probably would occur but might be tolerable.

If you will be welding along the flanges anyway, you could cross cut them half a dozen times in the bend region and then hand bend the base of the channel to the right radius.

Reply to
James Waldby

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:29:12 +1000, "Why is everyone so cruel" wrote the following:

So, endwise, the channel is ___ ___ , not a plain U or J channel? |__|

I was going to suggest a metal stretcher, but it would only stretch the flanges and your radius might be too tight for that. I wonder if you could rig a ring/band roller to do those. You'd probably need something fit inside the U to keep it from collapsing, and to hold up the flanges.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would ask; what is this to be used for? Maybe there is a better solution.

Reply to
aasberry

Depending which way you need to bend it you need either a shrinker or a stretcher. Rollers (same principal as an english wheel) can work as a stretcher (curve with flanges out)

Reply to
clare