Arc Euro X-3 mill offer

Guys,
Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of this mill:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X3-Mill
I've been looking for an X-3 mill for a couple of years now with the intention of adding CNC. This looks a pretty good offer.
Cheers,
Dr_G
--
DR_G
DR_G wrote:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X3-Mill
I was planning to post a similar question but regarding their KX3 CNC unit. Ideally I'd like to find someone in the west country that would be willing to talk about theirs and to show one working in the wild.
On Feb 28, 1:46�pm, David Billington

Took delivery of one a few weeks ago, only used it a little and so far seem to be pretty good. Most important surfaces ground and nicely finished, others as you would expect for the price. Spindle seems accurate as does the table and no vibration even at 1800rpm. Not sure what it's full capacity is milling or drilling but seems to handle a 1/2" slot drill ok. Bought it to replace a Dore Westbury and it is an improvement especially as I can raise and lower the head without losing any settings.
Main drawback was delivery, ordered Midlands ME show, collected it 5th Feb. I also like the idea of being able to convert to CNC it which is why I bought it rather than another older machine (also have an Abene knee mill). Really needs a counter balance weight to compensate for the head and a spindle lock, plans for both are available from the forum.
Sure there must be some drawbacks I have yet to find!
Peter
Peter B Wrote: > On Feb 28, 1:46�pm, David Billington

Thanks Peter,
I'm seriously considering this, after saving up for the best part of 2 years! They are few and far between second hand, which might be a good sign?
So far so good.
What about the switches? They look a bit flaky compared with 'proper' buttons.
Cheers,
--
DR_G

I too have recently taken delivery of one of these. Installed it at the weekend so far too early to give an opinion, other than I was surprised at how accurate it was out of the box, less than 1 thou difference on the X axis between extreme ends of the table. ArcEuroTrade's price is very good, Axminster are selling the same machine for 350 more. You can find loads more info about this and other Sieg machines if you join the Yahoo group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/X_Series_Mills
pcb1962 Wrote:

Just joined the group, thank you for the link.
--
DR_G
DR_G wrote:

An alternative is the Taig Mill. Available CNC Ready. A number of options on the spindle, and more flexible in its work envelope. It's not as rugged, but then it's a 'desktop' machine rather than needing a truss when moving it ;) Depending on controller one can get 1/16th thou step size which is good for fine engraving. http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=Mill-in-a-box
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
DR_G wrote:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X3-Mill
The price isn't bad, and my ordinary X3 is a good mill - I haven't had much chance to use it, but so far it's fab!.
I don't know about the super X3 though. Here's a quote from JS from looooong ago, may be of interest.
-- Peter Fairbrother
> > Yes indeed - however, how does it compare to the super-X3? >
The X 3 and Super X 3 are the same machine and only differ in the head design and layout. The X 3 has a 600W DC motor driving the gearbox thru a reduction belt drive, then to an internal 2 speed gearbox then to a further gear reduction on the spindle.
The SX3 has a 1000W brushless motor driving the spindle thru a small belt reduction, both then rely on electronic variable speed.
Plus points of the SX3 are the head tilts for angle work, it's quieter because it has no gearbox and it has fancy electronic gismo's like speed display and a tapping feature.
Bad points of the SX3 are the motor drive. Whilst it looks good on paper and shares most of the drive unit of the KX3 CNC machine this is after all a manual machine where low speed will be needed for boring and tapping etc. The CNC doesn't rely so much on low speed as it's capable of taking smaller interpolated cuts at higher speed and can thread mill etc. Because of the lack or gear or large belt reductions it lacks torque, it's lowest usable speed is around 250 to 300 rpm regardless of what the blurb says and even at those speeds it can't push a large cutter thru hardish material.
Because the motor is buried inside the head and is very compact it doesn't lend itself to a transplant easily.
If you want a general purpose machine then the X3 is a better bet, if you only want to use small cutters in soft materials at high speed then the SX3 is better.
John S.
Peter Fairbrother Wrote: > DR_G wrote:

> http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X3-Mill
Thanks Peter,
I'm wondering, for CNC conversion, the X-3 seems adequate if not better that the SX3. Do you think, in theory, that the X-3 should now be cheaper?
Cheers,
--
DR_G

<snip quote from JS>
I think you'll find there have been significant modifications to the SX3 since JS wrote that. Ketan's post from Sep 14, 2009 on the X_Series_Mills Yahoo group describes the current state of the machine and its lack of issues, here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/X_Series_Mills/message/1782

Following on in this thread, does anyone have experience of the KX-1 CNC mill whicb is also on offer. I am interested in purchasing a small CNC mill and this would appear to be a good buy. I don't have room for the larger KX-3 mill - it would have to displace my Centec 2A and I would rather not do that.
Jim.
On 3 Mar, 06:49, Jim Guthrie wrote:

There's a review of the KX1 in issue 160 of MEW from a month or two ago. The writer seems quite happy with it.