Sheldon 0 milling machine X axis nut needed

I'm restoring a Sheldon 0 milling machine. The mill is in OK shape - about a 1/4" of old paint on it, a little rust on the handles, etc. The X axis nut is quite badly worn, but I think that the screw is in pretty good shape. Does anyone have a nut for this mill or how would you suggest I retrofit/make one. I'm new to the shop and I'm not too sure my capabilities are up to making an acme nut on my lathe.

I look forward to your comments/thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Pidwerbecki

I did this (acme ID thread) for the feed nut on a hardinge milling machine. I kind of guessed at the thread form by looking at the leadscrew, and ground an internal threading tool to get inside the bronze cylinder nut. It turned out OK - I could have purchased one from hardinge but I learned a lot doing that.

Jim

jim rozen