Shooting Star DRO - robust?

The shooting star DRO's look like a good value for the money, and I have heard good things about them here and elsewhere. But for those of you who have them, are they robust in the long run? Do little bits of swarf eventually get into the encoder and jam up the works? Do the wire loom rack protectors successfully keep the swarf and oil out of the innards?

I've had some experience with the cheap chinese single-axis DRO's like you sometimes see on the quill of a milling machine, set up on my old mill/drill. Mine seem to be very touchy when they get a little oil or coolant on them. They lose zero or skip steps. I'd like to avoid this on my new mill with a more robust system.

Al

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

I have a 3 axis on my mill. Been using it about 4 years. Swarf has not been a problem. I used angle iron to protect the rack. Also made the installation easier, in my opinion.

I noticed an ad in the HSM magazine for a DRO using glass scales and in the same price range as the Shooting Star. Has more features and measures to .0002. Might be worth checking out. I would like to hear from anyone using that system.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh

I've been using a 3-axis CBX DRO on a Clausing 8520 for about 2-3 years and no problems so far with swarf or coolant. I only use a brush or drip here & there for coolant, though. Cleaning up the swarf is a moderately rare occurance for me and that's probably a better testament to the ruggedness of the system in a home shop. The racks on mine are protected with the corrugated (slit) tubing that CBX includes with the kit. They usually knock off around $50-100 for cash purchases as a show special at NAMES, if you plan on going.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Reply to
Stu & Kathy Fields

Hello,

I am selling the glass scale dro in HSM. Your information is correct. The very special HSM price for the two axis mill system is $634.00 and includes Fedex ground freight. The three axis mill system is $784.00 and also includes Fedex ground freight.2 axis sizes are 10x18, 10x20,

12x30,12x36, 16x36. 4, 6 or 16" third axis can be added to the above system. See at

Regards,

Tim lmsc@(not)pacbell.net - take the (not) out for reply e-mails

Reply to
Tim

Al, I have the 3 axis on my BP, and although I probably don't use the BP as much or as hard as some of the others, I love the Shooting Star. It is necessary to mount some kind of a piece of light angle above the X unit as the loom wraps are plastic and hot chips will melt through. It also keeps something from falling off the X table and hitting/bending the rack/encoder. The encoders are pretty well protected themselves, and since it is a rack/pinion type of sending unit, there is no slippage. They give you plenty of rack length, and it is simply hacksawed to whatever length you need. It is necessary to make sure there is NO binding when mounting the rack and encoder. Use of shims may be necessary to accomplish this, but it certainly isn't difficult. It took me a little more than an afternoon to mount

3 axis' but that was with a few interruptions. I love the large readout, easy to use, easy to see and plenty of features. I got the 3 axis setup on sale for something like $630 or $690 at High Quality Tools. Can't beat that price for what I needed. The units don't appear to be that fragile (but I wouldn't want to be beating on them with a hammer, either) as possibly glass scales would be. Beautiful not having to compensate for backlash, etc. Hope this helps... Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Reply to
Elton Barth

Tim, yer link don't work.

Rex the Wrench

Tim wrote:

Reply to
Rex the Wrench

Rex,

Thanks for the heads up.

I am having some problems with the server. I am making a copy of the site at another address and it will be up shortly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Rex,

Seems to be working now.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Have a 3 axis unit on a Johansson (what was renamed the Clausing 8520 after Clausing bought Johansson) and another on a 14 x 40 lathe. It has been great on both.

I damaged an encoder on installation and Shooting Star replaced it free of charge.

You can see pictures of the installation of the mill and another fellows at the Yahoo group:

Look in the Photos section under:

Mbrs mills > Johansson Mill > Reed's DRO Mbrs mills > Johansson Mill > Shooting Star DRO install

- Reed Raleigh, NC

Reply to
rstreift

Hey Stu,

That's nice of you to say. Everybody else just seems to remember the "girl" from S-Star. I do!

Take care.

Brian Laws>I've been using one on my 16" Victor lathe for more than a year with

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Brian Lawson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would be Cheryl....she's married now ya know....

Things to consider.

  1. You can't cut down glass scales too easily if at all for a custom application. You can cut the rod down on the CBX unit.

  1. CBX and Shooting Star have a proven track record for durability and longevity in the HSM market place. They support the HSM.

  2. I have heard MANY MANY stories about CBX offering to assist with a problem AFTER a warranty has run out. Most of these NOT related to the unit itself but due to "pilot error damage"

  1. Shooting Star willing to fix a mistake after a bad call on the install.

  2. CBX units do tolerate a bit more misalignment than glass scales.

  1. I don't think I have really ever heard of anyone COMPLAIN about a CBX DRO or Shooting Star's customer service.

  2. CBX units have remained the same price for years....

  1. CBX units come in both red and green displays. (I prefer the red, they seem easier to see.

  2. Some of the CBX units have serial ports on them for other applications.

Will be interesting to see how long the Jenix lasts and how the customer support is for them, before, during warranty and after the warranty period. It seems to have potential.

My. 02, I like the CBX unit, it is simple and works.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

That would be Cheryl, the "boss" is Bill. You won't find two nicer or more helpful people at the show.

And BTW, Cheryl pops in here periodically.

See you all in a few weeks at NAMES.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

Durability of the Shooting Star DRO.

When they first came on the market I had the school buy one and put it on a lathe in the shop. Since then, hundreds of high school kids have used it. This has to be living hell for a lathe and its attachments. We are talking about button jamming, hand wheel spinning, non stop teenagers. The Shooting Star DRO has withstood them all and maintained its excellent accuracy. I have nothing to say but the highest of praise for the product and the those who sell it. Rick Buxton Tech Ed teacher, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Reply to
Rhbuxton

AMEN....... Paul in AJ AZ

Reply to
Pep674

Hmm. Sounds like it's time to see if it's 'post-doc-proof!'

Jim

jim rozen

Thanks for all the positive input, folks. I put my order in today!

Al

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

Aw Gee thanks guys!!

I'm pretty darned lucky to get to spend my time at show with the likes of you all too, Scott, Brian, Paul!!

See you guys soon at NAMES!

Cheryl

Reply to
Shooting Star Tech.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to narrow down the problem with my web site. I think it is a problem with Pacbell/SBC/Yahoo. I need to know if anyone experienced the problem with my web site not coming up and what internet provider they use.

Thanks,

Tim

714-222-6110
Tim