Cutting an acme nut

I have tracked down the source of slop in the cross slide on my Dore-Wesbury milling machine to the thread in the nut being badly worn.

Given the DW is a kit I guess my only option is to cut a new nut myself. The thread seems to be a 5/8" x 0.1" (possibly 2.5mm) pitch square cut (ACME?) thread. Can anyone recommend how to accurately measure the thread (e.g depth) and then how make a tool to match.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Randall

Have you tried Ivan Law for a spare ? He still has some spares for these machines.

I.R Law

(01246) 433218

Pipworth Fm, Pipworth La Eckington , Sheffield S21 4EY

The drawings are no help as these were supplied pre cut but the instructions state an Acme thread is used on the screws and to engrave the dials in 50 divisions to get 2 thou steps so it looks as if the pitch is

0.1"

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Tracey Tools will be able to sell you a tap to suit once you've measured your lead screw.

To measure the pitch screw the cross slide the full travel, counting turns and measuring distence travelled then divide turns by inches to get tpi. I very much doubt if it is metric, though it is likely to be left hand thread.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The cross slide thread on mine is RH and the dial is divided into 10

divisions so I presume it's 10 tpi. The nut is captive on the base an the lead screw pulls the slide turning the handle clockwise. The quill dial is marked in 100 divisions also but each division i

0.002"

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall
[snip]

Thanks - actually it may not be a Dore Wesbury at all - I was told once that it might be an early Wesbury (pre Dore-Wesbury). Here is a picture:

and the nut in question:-

I have measured the thread as you say and its definitely 2.5mm pitch - (40 Turns = almost exactly 100mm on my digital calipers) 15.87mm (5/8") major diameter 12.20mm minor diameter (measured on a shank). So it sounds a bit weird (metric thread on a imperial rod).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Randall

And I forgot to say: it is left hand. the dial is marked 2.5mm

Steve

Reply to
Steve Randall

Yours looks like a Mk.1 or the original one before it became

Dore-Westbury.

The nut on mine has ears and is bolted to the base and the quill fee is on the RH side.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

I'm pretty sure mine is a Dore Westbury Mk 1 : note the different column with it's raising thread. I think the Mk 2 is most easily distinguished by having a much squarer T-piece linking column and arm.

This photo also shows the belt guard you asked about a while back - this conceals the gearbox under the front pulley.

The feednut looks very different from yours, though :

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Steve, That is a Westbury. Recognisable by the dovetail slides which were dropped for plain slides to ease building.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Not at 5/8" dia x 10 TPI. I've already tried as that is the size of the main leadscrew for a Centec.

5/8" dia Acme is normally 8 TPI, so that's what the taps are.

Andrew Maws>

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Some similarities - but different enough.

There is a picture of the Mk2 here:

(Squarer T piece as you say)

I believe this is the Westbury WE11 - quite similar to mine - but still not the same:-

Its almost like mine is somewhere between the WE11 and the DW Mk1 (similarities with both).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Randall