Acme threaded stuff

Every now and then someone bemoans the fact that they can't find a particular acme threaded something. If you can't find it at MSC or someplace like that, try here:

This company supplies lots of acme threaded supplies. The even sell square holes!

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

And they even sell the round pegs, for those of us so inclined.

Reply to
woodworker88

Damnit..even THEY dont make a 7/8-5

Ive got a great little combo horizontal /verticle, R8 with power feeds, two 2hp motors, all the arbors and end mill holders..and the cute little bitch STILL sits in my shop with a blown nut

And none of my lathes will cut a 5 tpi.

Mumble mumble

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Brent

Oooooh..I LIKE the way you think!

Sigh..but..Ive actually run out of room. For real. But..that means I need to scrounge up a bigger building!

Yesssss!!

Thank you !

Gunner

Gunner

========================== I have never tried this myself, but it appears quite durable repairs can be done use the old fashioned method of babbeting the nut, and the new fangled methods of injecting teflon/epoxy such as moglice.

Anyone have any actual "hands on" with either method?

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

No universal mill? At 5 tpi, it's more practical to go with milling the thread, you start picking up a whole lot of side thrust with that amount of translation per rev. One of the Village Press mags had a recent article on using the epoxy-type repair compounds for repairing a leadscrew and nut, the guy had to do a whole lot of extra work because the screw wasn't worn uniformly. Not sure that making a new one wasn't easier by the time he got done.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

My Harisson M300 does 5 TPI. I've had the lathe about 5 years and only recently realised it had a universal changebox so I can cut metric and imperial without altering anything, I suspect the metric is an approximation in this case.

Regarding your 5TPI my neighbour used the Harisson to cut a 2TPI twin start square thread recently for his dining room table. The nut in the opening/closing jack had finally given up after about 150 years so a new one had to be made. 2 TPI is as low as it goes. The nut came out without a hitch.

Reply to
David Billington

I have this perfect..and I mean Perfect...Hales mill. Its been variously badged as Yamazan, Jet and so forth. Its about 2/3 the size of a Bridgport, with a horizontal spindle under the ram. Nice big motor for x axis power feed, micrometer downfeed, dials are inch and 1 turn =.2

It had been hit on the end of the table the second month it was on the floor, by a forklift, which pushed the lead screw through the X axis nut. Harmed nothing except gutted the nut. So they locked the table down, and put on a air powered feed unit on the table and used it to slit some parts. Ultra low time. Well..the plastic hoses for the Bejur oiler need replacing ..which I already have the hoses. One of my A list customers. The mill was made in 1984, Taiwan and probably has less than 1000 hours of run time on the horizontal spindle. Period. The verticle was never run. And they tossed in a a very large rack full of R8 endmill holders, drill chuck holder and so forth. The nut looks identical to that on a Bridgeport..but scaled down. Has the backlash adjustment and so forth.

They needed the floor space to put in another CNC mill so told me to haul it off. Its been sitting in the To Do section of my shop for two years now..and I REALLY want to get it up and running. This is one Im NOT going to sell, as its a perfect size for the home shop..and if I ever have to down size..this will go with me.

I gave the nut to a buddy, but he hasnt gotten around to making the nut..it of course requires the proper insert..and they are rare. Getting him to hand grind a HSS bit..aint happening anytime soon.

Gunner

Gunner

Any real reason not to convert to an vailable size. 3/4-5 or 1"-5 ?

Can your lathe do 10 TPI? If so, root through the geartrain and see if you can drop in a gear or gears that doubles the output speed to the gearbox, and use the 10 TPI setting. You may run into velocity issues and have to handcrank the cuts, but for a short job, no biggie!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That's surprising. I would have thought that any QC lathe that can cut 16, 20 and 4 could cut 5 TPI. 16 is 4x4, 20 is 4x5. I think my Enterprise is a Clausing/Colchester knockoff, it can cut 5 TPI.

Reply to
Don Foreman

7/8 5 is not an Acme standard. Acme standards are 3/4 and 7/8 6tpi, and 1, 1 1/8, and 1 1/4 5 tpi. They are a 29 degree thread.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Sure they will!

Do you have change gears along with a Quick change? Alter the gearing from spindle to the quick change such that you double the existing ratio, then dial a 10 pitch thread, which will yield a 5 pitch thread. You may or may not be able to use the threading dial as usual, but it works fine.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

What size thread do you have and is it Acme [29 degree] or ISO/DIN trapizoid [30 degree] profile? What size HSS bit does his (or your) bar take?

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

With a little more surfing:

see:

{RH}
{LH}
I don't know if they use UPS or Brinks.....

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Would 10 the tpi setup on the HLV thingie with the knob set to I instead of II do it? (based on HLV, not HLV-H).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes. The leadscew is perfect.

The largest thread an HLV-H will do..is 11. Period.

Shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

The big Clausing 1501 will do 5tpi..but the $100 primary drive belt swallowed its ass some months ago. And Ive not had the money to splurge on buying a new one, on a machine that I use so seldom at the moment.

Due to the nature of the threading on an HLV-H..the largest thread possile is 11. I have all the aux. change gears to allow me to go to

208...and metric..but nothing bigger than an 11. Trust me..Ive checked.

Two full sets in fact.

The TFB is incapable of threading. Shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Yes.....I know. But its 200 thous per rev. Which makes reading the dials nice. Someone should have told the Taiwanese.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Not according to the Hardinge auxillary gear chart. If you have better information..please please please advise.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner