Phenolic Handles

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might find me a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like Amazon, MSC, Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's website is about worthless when you search for something they don't even have and get 6000+ results. I used Google's site search and most of Zoro's stuff was more than twice the price.
1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has that have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.
They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really want to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local screw vendor doesn't have them. I asked.
Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only buying 20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:

Maybe this outfit? <http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work, and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this company.
I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the price.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

Essentra is the company that bought Reid Supply.

Yeah, with all vendors you have to check price on each item.

That name sounds more familiar.

Ayup.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
whit3rd wrote:

Daka Ware makes a lot of industrial plastics:
http://www.daviesmolding.com/Catalog/Products/Frac-Balls.aspx
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

That's really strange. I found Zoro on eBay a few years ago and have bought dozens of things because they had the lowest prices. Free shipping over $50 and if you have a smaller order, just $5 to ship, including 6' sections of allthread. I wonder if their website is priced differently than their eBay sales.
I just tried the website and picked the first odd thing which came to my brain, feather duster. 7 hits, no strays. So I tried something I was sure they didn't have, feather picker. 0 hits, no strays, so I'm obviously not getting the stray crap you have seen. I have argued over that at the Home Depot site and, I think, McMaster, though.

The long life of inserts pleases me, too. Plastic threads usually don't last beyond a couple R&Rs.

I put an extra ceramic knob on my portable BBQ lid and found that the insert was glued in. Though it hasn't fallen off, maybe a phenolic handle is in my future, too.

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay, Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD. Quite often, I find a better version of what I was looking for at a lower price than I'd hoped.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I went ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:23:25 -0700
<snip>

Kind of late... but did you try asking McMaster for a better deal on that quantity?
The impression I've gotten here is that they may work with you if you call and ask. Especially since you've found another source that may be slightly less expensive.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I'll be ordering more in the future, so I can always ask next time.
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:19:42 -0700
<snip>

I saw that they had a price discount at quantity 10. I would think that some more discounts at 100, 250, 500... wouldn't be out of line...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard to be your supplier.
Place I used to work for used a lot of (generic) Destaco 341 clamps and we negotiated the price down to $13 from the then $20 buying a dozen at a time. Real ones were about $25 then... Ouch! Up to $35 at Granger today.
Glad I am no longer there! A bad day at my current job is better than a good one there.
--
William

I forgot about Fastenal. I buy fill in nuts and bolts from them once in a while, but only if Copperstate is out and I have to have it today. Fastenal's biggest claim to fame for that stuff is at least they are cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. LOL.
I did give a local salesman with them my email address and a list of pins, machine screws, and misc hardware I buy all the time, but I never heard back from him. I know their listed price on all of it was a couple times the price at Copperstate. On the other hand Ramon at Copperstate and I always talk about fishing when I drop by to get a couple boxes of something.
Anyway, thanks for mentioning them. Maybe a call to their corporate office to see about some pricing is in order.
On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 20:08:04 -0500, William Bagwell

Fastenal -was- in my list--of places to avoid--due to their pricing. I wanted -3- 55 gallon drum lids w/ qd bands for a client and they quoted me $99, plus $67 s/h. I found them for $43 delivered on Amazon. I don't even talk to Fastenal, let alone refer anyone to them.

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China. http://tinyurl.com/hy8xzya <grin> Unless you're from the gov't: http://tinyurl.com/j5r64tt OMFG!

That's always good to hear from anyone. Congrats.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:34:15 -0800, Larry Jaques

That is not a generic 341... Might actually work on very small molds and is a fantastic price! Will keep this in mind if I ever get around to working on my various projects ^H dreams.

But, but it is stainless steel!;-) Seems like the handle pads have changed a bit. Hope the old ones still fit as I have a bunch to eventually sell. (Mostly off brand but a few real Destaco's.) Pulled them off since they would burn up in the oven anyway.
--
William

alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time around.

I've bought from both without problems, WHEN I can find something. Their search engines truly Hoovers.
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it. It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and that's everyone's bugaboo).
I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services