McMaster-Carr Problems

I always have problems finding products on McMaster.com. I'm new to the profession and I don't always know what things are exactly called.

Just yesterday I wanted to find metals with low melting temperatures, and McMaster was difficult to use. I had to click on everything then check to see if it was low melting temp. Why can't I search for characteristics? Does anyone find this frustrating? Is there a site that can help me find what I'm looking for, instead of me having to know what it's exactly called?

-Matt

Reply to
Matt

I don't think that McMaster Carr consider themselves an educational institute. They presume that their customers know what they want.

For edification, try a library, it's one of those old fashioned edifices enclosing knowledge in the shape of things called books.

Tom

Reply to
tmartin

This should be easy to remember for you, Matt.

You can search for materials using many different criteria, including melting point.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I found it very easy to find what you were looking for. Main start page, down to "Raw Materials and Springs" >> "Metals" --

Then "Cerro Alloys" were plainly visible--fourth one down--explicitly stating low melting-temperature alloys in the description. Click on that, and all the alloys are listed with their properties.

It's the best organized site I've ever looked at, actually. The thing I don't like is not being able to open a new tab or window when navigating, you have to stay in the same window. I love window tabs, they're the best development in browsers (except for Internet Exploder for Mac, not available).

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken G.

Reply to
Michelle P

Then go to eBay to buy it considerably cheaper:

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It can be useful to first use an Internet search engine like Google to do a preliminary search of the Web or Newsgroups just to discover what terminology is commonly used to describe what you are looking for. So, for example, a search on 'metals with low melting temperatures' (with no quotation marks) yields

the Web and
Groups. Just scan through some of the hits until you spot discussions of what you are looking for and are satisfied that you have learned the words used to describe it. Then go to McMaster and search on those words.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

PS If the sought after terminology doesn't pop right up for you, don't hesitate to modify your Google search. For example, try editing the search terms to 'metals with "very low melting temperatures"' (using the double but not the single quote marks).

David Merrill

for the Web and

for Groups. Just scan through some of the hits until you spot discussions

Reply to
David Merrill

try a google searchy for what you are looking for first , this will probaply turn up an industrial term for the thing , which you can then hunt for on mcmaster carr site with, goodluck

Reply to
williamhenry