Cutting a recess in HSS

Recess may not be the correct description. I am trying to find out how I would cut a semicircle in a piece of HSS. I want a 1/8" or 3/16" done. The piece of steel is 7" long and 1/4 X 1/4 square. The purpose is to create a tool that cuts beads like the Sorby bead cutter at the following location:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Darrah West Linn, Oregon

Reply to
Bob Darrah

Hey Bob,

Not real sure what it is you are asking, but I did have a peek at the wood turning tools. Is it the thing at the last that looks like it goes in a dado or planer head?

Anyway, you could do one of three.... Etch, EDM, or grind.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Sorby bead cutter

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Use an angle grinder. If necessary, form the radius you need on the wheel using a mounted diamond or a devil stone.

HTH Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I would do this by buying a diamond file of the correct profile, and do the work on a die filer. Push straight in. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The URL which you have posted leads to a site which requires cookies. As I have no real need to vist the site (other than to look at what you want me to see), I will *not* turn on the cookies in my browser. They are on only when something which *I* seriously need to do requires them, and are then turned off immediately on exiting the site.

You *could* have saved the image on your site (without the web page itself) and posted it to the dropbox

read the [ Dropbox ] information on how to send it.

However, if is is as I suspect, it is ground by a specially contoured grinding wheel. You start with a surface grinder, a stone of the proper width, and a radius dresser to form the shape.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
David Billington

Agreed. I've seen some which require JavaScript (another no-no) to be enabled or you see nothing but a blank scree, Sears' site used to be like that. I complained, and they responded that they could not make their site work without cookies. (Incompetence, to my mind.) Apparently enough people complained, and stopped visiting them so they finally fixed it --did what they claimed could not be done. :-) (Yes, it still requires JavaScript for some things, such as purchases, but for browing for information, they are now more open.)

Whether you or I are paranoid or not, there are still adequate reasons to not leave cookies enabled.

I *can't* use IE (not that I would want to), because I run various unix systems, and will *not* allow a Windows box to touch my external net. If I did, I would have to play all of those games with virus scanners, far too frequent security patches (which sometimes break more than they fix) and all of the other things which have (unfortunately) become the way computing works for far too many these days.

As it is, I need Windows only for a very few things, and those do not *require* it to access the outside net, so it is not allowed to do so.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 9 Oct 2004 17:45:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) calmly ranted:

Why not, Don? Why are you allergic to cookies?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Because they might have coconut in them, to which I *am* really allergic. :-)

You'll note that at least one other followup to my article shares my feelings.

I reject *computer* cookies via a web browser, because they can be (and *are*) used to track your browsing habits. I've got no real objections to cookies set by a site to keep track of what you have already entered on *that* visit (such as that I have successfully logged in to a site from which I intend to make a purchase so all purchases go into the same "shopping cart").

*However* -- those ads which are put up whenever you visit many of the "free" sites also set cookies (and that is done via a link to the adversizing site), and the advertising sites collect information about your interests -- which may or may not be tracked to *you* specifically, depending on where else you have visited. These are used to decide which ads to push at you, based on what your other interests are -- as determined by what cookies were set on previous sites which host the same ads.

Yes -- more recent browsers have the ability to set a parameter which will limit cookies to only those from the site you are actually visiting. They would not have offered this feature if people were not already suspicious of cookies.

Just for the fun of it, if your browser has such an option, set it to ask you for permission for each cookie. You will be *amazed* at how many cookies some sites wind up attempting to set.

Note that *my* web page happens to attempt to set cookies -- only because I cannot find out how to prevent that without re-compiling the server. But -- if you refuse permission, there are no consequences. Everything works just as before. :-)

I have one account which allows cookies to be set by default, but it is used only to visit one site, which uses cookies to control attempts to overload it by spammers. (It is a site for looking up blocklist information on IP addresses to help attempt to control spam. And yes, the spammers *have* attempted to overload the blocklist sites.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Guys, can you please follow proper NG etiquette and change the subject line to reflect the fact that you are now discussing something completely different from the original subject (and, I might add, waaaay off topic).

Thanks, I feel much better now.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On 10 Oct 2004 00:27:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) calmly ranted:

What a bummer. You haven't tasted one of my omelets. I cook 'em up hot with coconut milk leaving their nicely browned skins soft as a baby's, erm, forehead. I then fold them over thin slices of medium-sharp cheddar cheese, salt & pepper, and serve steaming. The coconut milk lends the super soft shell, much more tender than cow's milk or water. Ta die for. (In your case, literally. So sorry to hear that.)

I'm allergic to sugar and nightshade plants. Tomatoes, potatoes, chilis, eggplant, and

I kill unknown cookies weekly, when I clean caches and temp files. It takes about ten minutes a week for all that. AddSubtract takes care of the known tracker cookies for me, so I'm not too worried.

There were early scares about cookies raping your entire hard drive a few years ago and they haven't subsided to sanity yet. That's why the mfgrs are putting these settings in there. Kinda like the DHS, knowwhatImean,Vern? (A using-battleships-to-kill-flies kinda thing.)

BTDT and got really mad, thank. :( People like Jakob Nielsen, author of "Designing Web Usability", cautioned designers to severely limit their cookie-setting attempts for that very reason. Not enough designers read his works.

-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ----------

Poly-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bitch, bitch, bitch...

Tim

Tim Williams

Big whoop. Between proper settings in IE and Spybot S&D's HOSTS file, immunization and other add-ons, I don't get anything consequential. Not to mention a popup stopper.

And so what if the ad sites store cookies... I fail to see damages from tracking your habits. Besides, spyware won't even RUN on your system!

Tim (who, oddly enough, gets a "blocked cookie(s)" icon on own webpage)

Tim Williams

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:39:23 -0500, "Tim Williams" calmly ranted:

Anyone tracking my habits will be overwhelmed. I do searches for nearly every subject under the sun for myself and all of my clients. I'm probably tagged as a paranoid schizophrenic by all of these tracking softwares. They get what they pay for. ;)

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
David Billington

Thanks to those that sent good info on how to cut this recess. When I sent the address, using Tinyurl.com, the page opened with no problem. The next day it went to the page about 'cookies.' But, I sent emails to a few that tried to answer my question without seeing the picture. Interestingly they were right on. The tool I am trying to replicate in some A2 steel is Sorby's woodturning bead maker.

This was not spam. I don't know who to Spam.

Bob Darrah West Linn, Oregon

Reply to
Bob Darrah

I didn't receive an e-mail. Did my system reject it as spam? (I don't feel hurt if there was none, I just wanted to make it clear that my system is fighting strongly against spam, and rejects e-mails based on IP address of machine connecting to deliver, username or email address (sometimes even partial username), and size of e-mail. The latter means that attachments or even large HTML copies of the plain text can be rejected. This last blocking is done to keep the number of virii received down, to protect some mailing lists which I host (and to avoid things like 300-500 virii in a single day at the starts of some infections.

However, if my system did reject your e-mail as a possible virus or spam, it is *not* directed at you personally, but at someone else who has (probably) previously sent spam or virii from a comcast account.

I would *love* for spam to go away, so I could stop growing these blocklists.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
David Billington

When estimating the time to complete a job, get your most pessimistic engineer/programmer to give you his/her worst-case estimate and multiply by pi.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Is this for your own use? If so, I have made a number of tools for both woodwork and metalwork out of OCS (Old Chevy Spring). It is somewhat better than plain carbon steel and can be anealed, hardened and tempered by traditional blacksmith techniques without needing a fancy heat treatment oven. Once annealed, it is easily shaped by milling, drilling, grinding, filing or what have you. Properly hardened and tempered OCS is almost as hard as High Speed Steel. It just won't stand up to heat the way HSS will so for a one off or a few, just take it easy.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards