Help in cutting/drilling/turning tungsten

This is my second attempt to post this, I don't know if the first worked, had a "server error" come up when I submitted it.

I am a HSM with a question about working with tungsten. A friend has asked me to make him some weights to put on to his golf putter. He wants to make them from Tungsten, due to its density. What alloy would be suitable? I told him to look for as high a percentage of tungsten as possible, I believe pure is available. We are talking of using 1/4" to 3/8" rod, with a hold drilled for a #8-32 attaching screw.

I need some advice about tooling to use, I will be doing the work on a Chinese 12X36 lathe. Whant kind of cutoff tool will work best, HSS or Carbide (all I have right now is HSS). How about drills, will this stuff drill OK with regular HSS drills? Turning tools? Probably won't have to do any turning, tho.

I live in Chesapeake, VA. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Steven

Use carbide tools with sharp edges and positive rake. Try 300 sfm.

ff

Reply to
ff

Steve, Use carbide tooling with positive rake. It can be parted off with HSS but run it real slow. It will come as a sintered rod and the chips will be powder. It breaks easily if bent. It can be tapped with HSS taps. Be careful when tapping, advancing the tap slowly and feeling for tap dulling. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

My friend Cam (King Custom Clubs in Saskatoon, Canada, my partner in Gingery casting and machine building) have discussed this. Tungsten is available in powder form, which we felt could be mixed with epoxy to make a heavy castable gunk. Mold as required. It would likely be less dense than a Tungsten rod, which could be epoxied into a hole. We've also discussed pouring Aluminum heads with Tungsten inserts embedded in the casting, but I digress .....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Keith

There are special "easy to machine" alloys that are nearly as dense as the pure stuff. They have copper in them. Tungsten work hardens very easily. If you need to make a cut, don't dawdle.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Thanks for the help, looks like I will buy a carbide cutoff tool and try with HSS drills, if necessary I will get a carbide drill bit.

BTW, the friend is talking about making them to sell now, so the volume is going up!

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Steven

Steve,

I've done quite a bit of work with HD-17 Tungsten. The cutoffs I used were Iscar carbide inserts or Etco. Both worked extremely well. Cobalt drills hold up well. It machines well, but is a little pricey. You should be able to make do with what you've got.

Matt

Reply to
Matweier