IMPORT: McMaster Carr parts

Just had a user come to me with a problem. He stated that a pipe fitting he had downloaded from McMaster had zero weight. I looked into it and the part was scaled down by 25.4 in the STEP file he had gotten. Has anybody else run into this?

There were two possible fixes. One was to import with template units and use mm. The other was to scale the part.

One cause I thought of was that whoever created the STEP didn't write units into the file since SW by default looks for units in STEP files.

TOP

2007 SP3.1
Reply to
TOP

My experience is that McMaster Carr parts are moderately accurate. They did contract out the work to make those models a long time ago, and are prolly completely unaware of any issues with their models. You may wish to contact them to let them know you've found an error.

Have you tried one of the other available formats for that part?

Matt Lorono

of

fcsuper

I've only run into that with models of fasteners from McMaster. It's not 100% consistent and when I find one that's small, I scale it up by

25.4 and move on. It's always been close enough for what I'm doing.

MHill

TOP wrote in news:1184072307.901622.236920 @n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
MHill

I've had excellent luck with McMaster-Carr parts. With both McMaster parts and Misumi parts typically the first thing I do after downloading them is assign the proper material. I have not run into any inch/metric conversion issues though, and I work 99% in metric.

To your specific problem, I would just adjust the units accordingly in the settings for that file. If the scale is still off, then just use the scale function. Like the others said, informing McMaster wouldn't be a bad idea, they are pretty quick to address any issues.

Reply to
scottaw

Its just a SAT file in metric units, 25.4 mm to the inch

Reply to
RaceBikesOrWork

We are talking STEP not SAT.

TOP