config.pro options for metric units & ISO tol std.?

it´s all in the topic...

I can´t get rid of imperial units and stupid ANSI tol mode, it´s uncomfortable to change settings for each part & assy.

This has been well set in 20 but came up again with 2000i2. Did the config.pro options spelling for those settings change?

TIA

Walther

Still not using Wildfire (too much rain here). walther_[at]_in4tec_[dot]_de

Reply to
Walther

"Walther" wrote in message news:c7fr4b$jbv$00$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com... : it´s all in the topic... : : I can´t get rid of imperial units and stupid ANSI tol mode, : it´s uncomfortable to change settings for each part & assy. : : This has been well set in 20 but came up again with 2000i2. : Did the config.pro options spelling for those settings change? : Nope, still pro_unit_length, pro_unit_mass and tolerance_standard to specify centimeter, gram and ISO.

The thing that has changed, though, is the extensive use of 'templates', start parts. When you pick 'File>New' and get the type selection box, uncheck the thing that says User default template. This will show a list of what is already set up to use as templates. Whatever appears highlighted on the input line is your current default start part. The problem may be that it says inlbs_part_solid which gives you your imperial (US Customary) units and ansi tolerance standard. If you pick the one that says mmns_part_solid, you should get the set up you want, that is, when you use this template, you should be able to go to 'Edit>Setup>Units' and have it show the current units as millimeters. If you want to be able to leave the box checked and use this template by default, you have to set it in config.pro. This is something new that you can do. If you go through it alphabetically, you'll find a series of options beginning with template_designasm which let you specify a template to use by default. The one causing your trouble is probably template_solidpart. If you set this to the correct template and edit the template itself to the way you want it, shouldn't have this kind of problem again.

BTW, the templates are actual parts and the information they contain, like units, overrides the config.pro options settings like pro_unit_length. The only time these would come into play is if, in creating a new part, you unchecked the 'Use default template' box and from the list of available templates, picked Empty. Then all the config.pro values are used as the defaults.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

thanks a lot, David! My fault I didn´t take a look at this. I wonder how you find the time for your always helpful advice to this group.

[...]

fine! I´ll make up some metric/ISO templates as soon as possible.

Yet I didn´t manage to find out the appropriate config.pro options since these obviously do not show up in the menu until set in the file. Mine says tangent_edge_display then continues with tol_display so it seems I´m missing the template_* options and their syntax respectively.

Anybody about to post a list of the template_* config.pro options here?

Thanks again! PTC programmers - or the marketing guys, or management, whoever - have often decided to override what users became accustomed to already, making changes but not advantages (yes, I´m conservative!). This sort of Innovation made PTC the like of Microsoft in CAD market.

Kind Regards

Walther

Reply to
Walther

These are my config.pro template designations.

template_designasm u:\pro24\templates\inlbs_asm_design.asm template_drawing p:\engineering\borders\csize.frm template_solidpart u:\pro24\templates\INLBS_PART_SOLID.PRT

My default dir is U:\pro24 and I have my 'start parts' in the \templates dir.

Our company drawing formats are on p:\engineering\boarders

Also remember that you can setup custom (and c> David Janes wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell