import igs in pro/M

Is there any way I will import a step or iges file into pro/mechanica? Been searching for it all afternoon... I created a nurbs syrface in Rhino, and want to do a structural analysis in pro/M. Niether *.step, nor *.igs works. I used small caracters in the name. "Cannot read the file", is the constant answer.

Anybody wtih a solution?

Thnx, Pim.

Reply to
Pim

No spaces in file names? There's also a max number of characters (32?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

: Pim" wrote : Is there any way I will import a step or iges file into pro/mechanica? : Been searching for it all afternoon... : I created a nurbs syrface in Rhino, and want to do a structural analysis : in pro/M. Niether *.step, nor *.igs works. I used small caracters in the : name. "Cannot read the file", is the constant answer. : Pim, I'm really an amateur in this part of Pro/e, but I would like to understand what's possible, what problems people have with Mechanica. Maybe you could explain some more what you mean by "importing" into Mechanica. How are you doing this. I'm not acquainted with this. It's also helpful to the more experienced people to know what you've done to know where to tell you to backtrack and branc in another direction, for example. This kind of troubleshooting calls for more, not less, information from the user.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I too, am not certain of this. Have you tried opening the .igs in ProE and then saving it as a .prt before firing up Mechanica? Does the file need to be a solid? Does it at least need to be a completely closed set of surfaces?

Reply to
gari_baldi

I agree on the part Daivd Janes wrote: "This kind of troubleshooting calls for more, not less, information from the user." So here I go;

I know pro/E is not yet an suitable package for architecture, but -as I understood- the developers are working on that. We as an architectural firm want to keep the design in one software package. The parametric way pro/E works is very conveniant with the architecture that we make.

For our architectural firm I'm working on the construction of a non-standard form. To obtain an insight on the behaviour of the form in a mechanical way, I need to see how the construction, represented as shells, works. This way I can create a mesh, en get a colored graphical output of the results, which communicated well with the other party's involved. We than can adept the form to it's mechanical behaviour, a process called "structural optimization".

This way of working is prety common in University's, but they use different software. We believe working in only one package is more reliable en secure. We work file-to-factory, so the construction in pro/E will be sent a manufacturer of steel beams, who will read our 3d model to produce the steel giders.

Now for my problems in pro/Mechanica. The only thing I managed to import in pro/E was a dxf, containing straight lines. That is not good enough to create my shells, because the forces will be guided through rounded elements, so the internal moments in the construction will be less. A part from this, I want to import the shells I develloped in pro/E, because that is what we are going to build, and I am not sure the way pro/M creates the surfaces is the same as pro/E.

There are different formats pro/M should be able to import. Simply importing the .prt (part from pro/E) didn't work ("Cannot read the file"), no surfaces, and no solids parts. So I used Rhinoceros to simplify the model, and tried to import it as an *.step and *.igs (small caps, file name < 32 caracters). Neither worked: "Cannot read the file". Not as lines, not as surfaces...

So here I'm stuck, hopefully this more detailed text on the problem will evocate the solution...

Greets, Pim Marsman.

Reply to
Pim

I probably shouldn't even say anything as I'm ignorant of Mechanica (you are talking about FEA?) and how it interfaces with Pro/E (where does Pro/Mesh fit in here?), but what type entities are you trying to translate; Brep / NURBS solids and surfaces or mesh entities?

Mesh entities created in Rhino will not translate out as IGES or STEP unless you convert them to NURBS surface representations (MeshToNurbs command ?). The NURBS surfaces would then have to be converted back to elemental entities for analysis purposes.

What are you calling a "shells"?

Where did the dxf originate and what type entities were translated out?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

: "Jeff Howard" wrote : : > Now for my problems in pro/Mechanica. The only thing I managed to : > import in pro/E was a dxf, containing straight lines. ..... : > ..... and I am not sure the way pro/M creates the surfaces is the : > same as pro/E. : >

: > There are different formats pro/M should be able to import. Simply : > importing the .prt (part from pro/E) didn't work ("Cannot read the : > file"), no surfaces, and no solids parts. So I used Rhinoceros to : > simplify the model, and tried to import it as an *.step and *.igs (small : > caps, file name < 32 caracters). Neither worked: "Cannot read the file". : > Not as lines, not as surfaces... : : I probably shouldn't even say anything as I'm ignorant of Mechanica (you : are talking about FEA?) and how it interfaces with Pro/E (where does : Pro/Mesh fit in here?), but what type entities are you trying to translate; : Brep / NURBS solids and surfaces or mesh entities? : : Mesh entities created in Rhino will not translate out as IGES or STEP : unless you convert them to NURBS surface representations (MeshToNurbs : command ?). The NURBS surfaces would then have to be converted back to : elemental entities for analysis purposes. : : What are you calling a "shells"? : : Where did the dxf originate and what type entities were translated out? : Thanks, Pim, the additional info was helpful, but I agree with Jeff, there are still pieces of the puzzle missing. The first one I have, especially since you've expressed an interest in doing everything within a single package which offers the decided advantage of not having to do data translation, is why not do this part in Pro/e!?! Why even mess around with other packages and translating. When you've made the part (surface or solid, conventional surfaces or NURBS), you just go to 'Applications>Mechanica', it confirms the system of units to use and you're offered the choice of Structural, Thermal, etc. to analyze the model.

Even if you were going to go the less direct route, such as using IGES data, you would open it in Pro/e first, either directly with the 'File>Open' and setting the filter to show all file types, or by creating a new part then using 'Insert>Shared Data>From file' and reading the IGES data. Then such a file can be analyzed by Mechanica. There may be a way, as Jeff says, of reading meshed data, but that is so round about, the only reason I could see for bothering with it is as a last resort. But, exhaust your other options first. Especially try modelling the part in Pro/e first. If it is something like a concrete form or an extrusion die profile, it wouldn't be that difficult. We'd be glad to guide you through any such modelling challenge.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hello Jeff Howard,

I'm trying to import NURBS; polygonal meshes will always be divided in flat elements, and that's just what we don't want, because the mechanical flow of forces will than result in internal bending moments. (And for as far as I know Nurbs to mesh is a one way translation). I mensioned the *.dxf format because that's the only thing I managed to import.

Pro/Mechanica uses Finite Element Methode (FEM) to calculate. By "shells" I mean the constructional type that the surface will represent: On the NURBS surface I want to create a mesh (this is a constructional mesh, something different than the polygonal mesh!!), and run that through my analysis. This is a common way of working, as I stated before, so pro/Mechanica should be able tot do this without any trouble. Problem: I can't import anything but a dxf (with straight line segments) in pro/M. That is just not good enough! :(

Greets, Pim.

Reply to
Pim

I have no idea what a constructional mesh is. Are you talking about analysis element mesh?

Let's go back to basics. Create or import a simple example (solid or surface model in Pro/E) then follow David's suggestion (Menu: Applications / Mechanica) and let's go from there. I think you are missing something fundamental, but don't know enough about the subject to fathom what it might be based on what you say.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

... an additional thought: Search Google for [mechanica stress tutorial] and pick one that looks good.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

David, is there a "stand alone" version of Mechanica?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

One last thought and then I'm outta here... Is it possible that while in Mechanica all you can import is analysis entities; e.g. not model geometry?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

There used to be. I think it got retired by 2001. There's also a mesher in Pro/M, but as far as I know, it's one way ~ to export meshed surfaces. In any case, you can't even open Pro/M without a part or assembly file open. That kind of limits your options.

Reply to
David Janes