Is there a way to import parameters into an existing model?

I have a set of new parameters I would like to use.

Is there a way to import these into existing parts?

Reply to
Pete

Two days ago, jlsoon asked the same question. And there are no really satisfactory answers. I was hoping someone had some experience with Pro/MODELCHECK and could relate that experience. From what I understand about it, if you have parameters you wish every model to have, it checks to see whether parts/assemblies/drawings have them then adds them if they don't. It's all in how it is set up. Like most efficiency features in Pro/e, it is heavy on the front end, letting you make up for the heavy investment in time, money and effort as the months and years roll on. I was hoping someone would say whether the effort was worth it. AND whether it solved this problem of adding new parameters to old parts.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

parts/assemblies/drawings

I've asked this question in the past, and the best answer I received was to make a mapkey that inserts the paramaters you need.

Reply to
Hendrik van Dorp

ModelCHECK can indeed be used for this purpose. You can configure it to check that a parameter exists, that it is the correct type (integer, string, etc.), that it is designated (if that is what you want), whether or not the value can be NULL and check the format of the value (a specific number of characters, all numbers, all characters, etc.). If the parameter does not exist, you can have ModelCHECK create the parameter and you can assign values at the same time.

As David mentioned, there is a lot of up front work in getting ModelCHECK configured. Of course, this check is only one of hundreds that can be configured. Is it worth it? I think so. It is a great tool to ensure consistency across your Pro/E models.

By the way, the current method of configuring ModelCHECK involves editing a number of text files manually. I understand (although I have not seen it yet) that there is a new user interface for configuring ModelCHECK in Wildfire 2. If this is done right, it should make it much easier to configure and maintain.

If you are interested, I gave a presentation on ModelCHECK in Wildfire at the annual conference of the Colorado Pro/E User Group last November. You can find the presentation (along with the others that were given) in PDF format at

Ron

parts/assemblies/drawings

Reply to
RonT

There is a way to do this through relations, but I am not sure anymore how this works. If I recall correctly you create a relation in your part. Within the relation's UI you either can import parameters (search its menus) or you export the relation, modify it with an external program to include your parameters and bring it back. As I said, this works somewho, but you have to fuzz around a bit to figure it out.

Tom

Pete schrieb:

Reply to
Dammerl

Here is the deal. The problem with parameters is to check weather they already exist! If you are SURE they don't already exist in the parts/assemblies the problem is quite easy. If you don't, it's a bit more difficult and require a bit of programming.

I assume you are sure the parameters don't exits already. Then create a mapkey (for instance "NewParams") and record the creation of the parameters. You can also add a button to the menu bar for future usage... Save the config.pro file and check it with a text editor to see the mapkey looks right. Then install the Spekan/Innotiv batch utility

(they have other nice tools too).

Then run it , select the files to operate the mapkey on, and that's it!

Gerard

"Hendrik van Dorp" schreef in bericht news:gaRPb.3021$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Gerard van de Schoot