Importing IGES Files

I have a group of six IGES files that were created in CATIA and won't import
into SolidWorks 2004. When I try to import any of these IGES files,
SolidWorks produces the following error message after working for only a few
seconds.
Unable to read IGES file. File was truncated or contains invalid data.
I suspect the IGES files contain entities that are not supported by
SolidWorks since I can view part of the IGES geometry in other programs.
Unfortunately, none of the programs I have can load all of the geometry, so
I can't export it in another format.
I am currently exploring my options and was wondering if anyone can make a
suggestion for a translation program or service bureau.
Reply to
John Eric Voltin
John, I am sure I can get the Iges file in but it would save time if you had the original Catia files. Either way I will give it a try.
Reply to
J. R. Carroll
try FomatWorks from Capvidia. They will do this on a contract basis rather than makng you buy the program-I think.
jk
Reply to
jk
John,
Catia Ver.4 creates crappy IGES files that "NO" CAD or CAM program on the planet can read in completely. Many crash at the attempt..
Get the Catia native file and do what others here have suggested, use a service bureau. I've had good sucess with Theorem
Regards
Mark
Reply to
MM
If you have an older SWX still loaded, like sw2001+, you might give that a try. I had an ocasion where sw2003 wouldn't import some igs files, but sw2001+ did fine. Bill
Reply to
bill allemann
Ask someone at the Concepts Unlimited forum to open the v4 files for you and export as SAT (ACIS), so you can read them in SW.
..
John Eric Volt>
Reply to
Paul Salvador
Thanks, Paul. I was trying to remember that name a couple of weeks ago. Wonder how well the translations work? Catia v4 and ACIS; like mixing oil and water.
======================== "Paul Salvador" wrote...
Reply to
Jeff Howard
Hey, btw, it looks like the new 2.0 beta (one month full use) allows for exports.
Oh, I agree, the v4 files converted to ACIS should be interesting? But, with some of the tolerance options ACIS is suppose too have now, it may work ok? And, CadSoft seems to be very willing to help with getting the v4 data in.. and I would guess they are very much interested in any v4 import/export failures/issues?
Funny, it takes another company to supply a import/export for Catia files when SolidWorks is owned by the owner of Catia and ACIS!?!?!
Utterly amazing!?!?!?!
..bending over,... thank you sir, may I have another!?! 8^0
..
Jeff Howard wrote: > > Thanks, Paul. I was trying to remember that name a couple of weeks ago. > Wonder how well the translations work? Catia v4 and ACIS; like mixing oil > and water. > > ======================== > "Paul Salvador" wrote... > > Ask someone at the Concepts Unlimited forum to open the v4 files for you > > and export as SAT (ACIS), so you can read them in SW. > > > >

Paul Salvador
Ask your Catia customer to use the Catia v4 STEPOUT function to provide STEP files, Iges will not work but the STEP does.
Reply to
Phil Evans
Get a free trial of TransMagic and you can convert native V4 .model files to SW for 14 days. TransMagic doesn't however, work very fast on IGES. Or go to Capvidia and have them healed for SW.
I have had this problem too in the last month. They need to do a check in Catia before outputting and let the process finish. When CATIA was allowed to finish the files would read in.
John Eric Volt> I have a group of six IGES files that were created in CATIA and won't > import
Reply to
kellnerp