Solidworks Crashing when opening IGES Files

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me if this is a double post. Google crashed on me when I tried posting this originally.

As the title suggests, Solidworks is crashing when I attempt to import IGES files. Under the import settings, when I have "Free point/curve entities" checked with either "Import as 3D sketch(es)" or "Import as

3D curves", the IGES file will open, be present on the screen for a few seconds, and then Solidworks will crash to the desktop with the following (unhelpful) error:

"Solidworks has terminated due to an unhandled error. Please contact your local support representative for help in troubleshooting this problem. Subscription service customers can also find additional troubleshooting and support resources at

blah"

If I don't have the "Free point/curve entities" option checked, the IGES file will show up, but with no annotations.

Here is where it gets more irritating. Other users using the same version of Solidworks (2005 SP2 by the way) using similar or exact equipment can open up these IGES files without any problem, its just this one particular machine.

I am certain it has something to do with this user's profile. I logged onto his machine as administrator and I was able to open the same IGES file without any problem. I also had this user log onto another machine where we weren't experiencing this problem and it crashed on him.

I tried deleting both the Windows Active directory profile for this user and the local profile, but this did not solve the problem. I also imported registry settings from another user account using the "Copy Settings Wizard", but still had no luck. Is there somewhere else in Solidworks where user settings are stored?

I have also noticed (through the help of a program called Filemon) that when running under this user, Solidworks attempts to open several .pbd and .dbg files. These appear to be some sort of debugging files, however these files don't exist on the machine. Is there an option that can turn debugging on/off? If so where is it?

I have also contacted support, but they haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

I have uninstalled Solidworks due to other flaky behavior and reinstalled, but this problem persists.

The machine that is having this problem is

Windows XP Pro SP2 Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ

1 GB RAM ATI FireGL 3100 Video card

Any help would be great.

Reply to
XxLicherxX

Upgraded the video card drivers and now the problem has gone away...

Reply to
XxLicherxX