IGES Files

Hello,

When I receive an IGES file from my customers, I open the profile in the sketcher to make a quick drawing in the drafting mode. Here I get the required dimensions to model the part.

I can't model the IGES file because it's an imported feature and can't make any changes to it.

Is there a better way to import an IGES file right into the sketcher to extrude, etc without having the extra step of dimensioning?

Thank you all.

Reply to
1-2-3

It's not clear, from what you've said, just what kind of geometry you're getting in this file. Could you try this: Do 'File>Open' and set the Type in the drop down to IGES. Find your file and try to open it. What kind of geometry do you get?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David,

Thank you for your help.

Following is what I get and what I do: *When I open the IGES file I get the "Import New Model" menu and click on "Part" *Only a white outline of the part opens in the No Hidden Mode, Nothing opens in the Shading Mode. *There are no plane *The Menu Manager indicates "Imported feature id4" *I move the "Inser here" above the "Imported feature" and create the datum planes. *Then I open the part in the drafting to get the dimensions to model the part.

Hopefully this will help to clarifiy my problem.

Thanks

Reply to
1-2-3

Generally, with a part file, you do not get these choices or menus ~ it simply creates the part geometry. When you get choices like this, it's wise to pick the one that's most develped, most elaborated or, in this case, the Assembly, and see what happens, as there may be two or jore parts that your geometry represents. If parts/components are created in an assembly, open a part, then create a drawing based on this part ('File>New>Drawing'), pick whether to use a 'default template' or fornat, set the page size and Done. Your drawing should be based on whatever geometry came into the model.

However, since you are tryin gto 'Insert' default datums ahead of this import feature, maybe, what you should be doing is creating a base part or assembly and doing 'Insert>Shared Data>From file' to get the part data or, in an assembly, 'Insert>Component>Create' and use the data from the IGES file to create the component files. However, I suspect that the seame thing will happen if you pick 'Assembly' instead of 'Part' from that initial list.

If you don't get surfaces or solids out of this, then I'd have to ask what program is doing the exporting and who is the operator on the other end (exporting is notoriously given to low level, not well informed technician, possibly summer interns who generally know less than nothing) so you might be getting files in less than optimum configuration. Let's say that the exporting system can produce IGES files in wireframe, surface or solid format. What do your files correspnd to and which would actrually be best to work with in Pro/e? These may not at all be synchronizing. You may be getting files that are far less than optimum to work with in Pro/E, simply out of the ignorance of the vendor grunt doing the exporting. Do you know a better way? Time to do some communicating!! You need, minimally, surface geometry, preferrably, solid geometry. At very least, find out, investigate your current situation and report, at once. However, 'white outline' sounds like wireframe ~ least optimum for producing a drawing, even less for producing a solid model. My last question would be, if this relationship is ddoing below par, can the vendor do better? It's really on their shoulders to provide you with what you need and you need solid models, NOT wireframe or kludgey, botched surfaces. Make them understand this, get better models. Don't know of any software package, in the hands of a skilled user, that can't do precisely this.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes