2d iges files

We are trying to quote a government job. The RFQ package include your typical .c4 files as well as .igs files and a new one on me...u1 files. The
iges files are actually 2d drawings, how do I open these in Solidworks and print them for quoting. Using the 'known' method I get a couple of 2d sketches but no dimensions or title block. We had a very old version of DrafixCAD and had some success opening the files in it but the geometry would be in one area, the dimensions in another area and the title block would be smaller than the geometry. Any advice on the iges files and or the .u1 files?
TIA Jeff
" The iges files are actually 2d drawings, how do I open these in Solidworks and print them for quoting. "
Hi Jeff,
SW considers 2-d iges to be an obsolete format and there is no good way to do what you need with SolidWorks. I have an old seat of Cadkey on my PentiumIII machine and it is great for that sort of thing. I usually import the 2-d iges over there and clean it up in CK. Then I output dwg files which I can then open up in SW-if necessary. You will need to find somebody with a different software package than SW to help you with this. Good Luck.
jk

Thanks John, I got to looking around here and found our Mechanical Desktop 5 cd. It did install okay on XP and imported the iges files so I was able to plot. Maybe I was a bit quick in canceling the autodesk mantaince contract? Jeff
IGES 2D is not obsolete. SW just never bothered with it. This left SW out of the automotive arena for a long time.
TOP

Hi Paul,
I wasn't saying that it is-just that they TREAT it as if it doesn't even exist. I filed enhancement requests every year for several years on this topic, but with no success.
Missed SWW this year, so didn't get to enjoy your company this time around. San Diego is driving distance, so will try to make it.
jk

The
the
Think theres no way with SW but try the free "Solid Edge 2D drafting" from http://www.solidedge.eu.com Idont know the .u1 file format but think this will be closes you will get to 2D with parasolid. download from http://www.solidedge.eu.com/isapi/pagegen.dll/setlang