importing 2d autocad version2007 simple geomety into proe wf2 sketcher??

does anyone know why the import data from file (under Sketcher) does not bring in simple 2d dwg files??? i am designing a cabinet with crown molding and want to import in a 2d drawing created in autocad of a simple 3.5 inch crown molding profile. I tried everything, but still not working????

Reply to
al

Try

Help / Data Exchange / Interface / Working with Data Exhange Formats / DXF and DWG / Importing DXF and DWG. Look for dwg version.

or

Quit messing with that niche market formats and export IGES or STEP.

Reply to
true bloo

Usually because drawing files are not that simple and contain lots of extraneous data, like dimensions, line weights, multiple views, formats, colors, none of which are easily translated into a section sketch.

Pro/e has a built in utility called AutobuildZ that uses the information from multiview drawings to produce solid parts. The views generally require some cleanup but much of it is automated so that you wind up with truly simple geometry that can provide the basis for extrusions and other features.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Look in the Sketch menu for Data from File. In the Type dropdown, you'll see that there are but 5 types that are supported for import. DWG is one of them. Pick that as your selection filter and you should see your drawing file.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

THANKS DAVID FOR THE INFO I DID EXACTLY THAT AND FOR SOME REASON CAN NOT READ IN THE SIMPLE DWG. FILE. THE FILE IS JUST A CROSS SECTION OF A PC OF CROWN MOLDING , NOTHING ELSE, NO DIMS , MULTIPLE VIEWS ETC.. I TRIED READING A DWG FILE AND THE SCREEN FLASHES BUT NOTING COMES IN.??? I WILL LOOK INTO THE AUTOBUILDZ PROGRAM, THANKS

Reply to
al

Typically, when I absolutely have to, I create external sections as iges, then isert - from file. I then sketch on top of them, as they often have holes & overlaps which make them unsuitable for directly building geometry.

Reply to
John Wade

Well, now that I look at the subject where you mentioned ACAD 2007, it's entirely possible that Pro/e, which was published first, doesn't support it. Better, as others have mentioned, to export to a neutral file format, like IGES. This is also supported for import into sketcher.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

On the last point? Yeah, I gotta agree. STEP or IGES, where ever you can use them. In this cases, since we're talking about something very particular ~ importing a section into sketcher ~ only IGES will work (and SEC, DRW, DWG and AI). These are the five that 'Sketch>Data from file' recognize as translatable 2D sections. Sorry, STEP is not among the recognized 2D sketched formats. Nor is DXF. If we were talking about opening 2D data in a Pro/e drawing, more data formats would be available. But this case is not that direct or simple.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Assuming you have Autocad 2007, open the file and save it in an earlier version of Autocad. (Also while in Acad clean up the file so it is just the lines you need - explode everything, purge all your old layers and line styles etc.)

If that doesn't import, you can import the file into drawing mode and save it in Iges. You can then import the iges file into a part and use the edges in your sketch. If you want it parametric just delete the sketcher references so all the entities are independent.

Reply to
graminator