how to convert to PROE to 2D drawing ?

I have a assembly file with a lot of parts in PROE format. I need to convert everything into autocad 2-D drawing because our engineers know
nothing about proe. Only autocad. How can I convert them and print them out easily? I am using Wildfire.
thanks Ahgu
Whilst in theory Pro can create native Autocad data (.dwg files) this has always been pretty flaky and I usually end up having to export either DXF or IGES versions of the drawing to import into Autocad.

I hestitated to answer this one because aren't there some tricky considerations? I mean, even beyond the obvious one ~ there is no direct conversion between Pro/e parts and AutoCAD draft entities. This requires the intermediary of the Pro/e drawing. But, also in export to a 2d format like iges or dxf, aren't there complications? What about scale: does this translate? should drawings be done at 100%? What about line styles, text styles, and colors: do these get through? Export with or without the format? Multi-sheet drawings or each sheet as a separate drawing? I'm not sure about the details, but it seemed like there were complications that it wouldn't hurt to know about ahead of time.
David Janes
: > I have a assembly file with a lot of parts in PROE format. I need to : > convert everything into autocad 2-D drawing because our engineers know : > nothing about proe. Only autocad. How can I convert them and print : > them out easily? : > I am using Wildfire. : > : > thanks : > Ahgu : :
Step back. How can I just print out the 2-D drawing from pro-e. I don't really need to convert to autocad. I just need to print out the drawing on the paper and let people review the design.

I have a parts in front of me. and I don't see Place views?? Can you tell me the exact menu? thanks Andrew

Forget making a drawing, it's too complicated and you don't want to take a course on it. You just want something quick and dirty, something to show engineering so the ACAD boys can get to work.
So, with a part open, do this: pick the base feature of the part in the model tree and with it highlighted, RMB 'Modify' (2001 and earlier) or, for Wildfire, 'Edit'. This will show all the dimensions of that first feature. Hit the Print icon.
Continue through the part this way, showing and printing dimensions for the various part features. Before you do the printing, though, you can improve communication tremendously by going to the View menu, selecting 'Display settings' and 'System colors'. From the 'Scheme' menu at the top of System Colors, pick 'Black on white', the way it should be anyway. Also, set the Display Style in the Environment to 'hidden line' or hit the hidden line icon at the top.
David Janes
: > : > > I have a assembly file with a lot of parts in PROE format. I need to : > : > > convert everything into autocad 2-D drawing because our engineers know : > : > > nothing about proe. Only autocad. How can I convert them and print : > : > > them out easily? : > : > > I am using Wildfire. : > : > > : > : > > thanks : > : > > Ahgu
In Andrew Xiang wrote:

Apparently you need basic training.
You can't just press a button and have a drawing appear (unless you've put lots of work into automation).
I suggest you read the manauls, specificaly the drawing manual.
But then it sounds like you just want to print out a picture with some dims. So just show the dimensions you need (not too many at a time) and print.
Chris
--
#include <disclaimer.h>
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

You will be very much better off if you go through a tutorial on drawing creation. Here are some sites that have them for sale:
http://www.frotime.com / Those from Frotime are probably the most reasonably priced http://www.cadtrain.com / http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/prosurface.htm http://www.kinetivision.com /
These are free: http://www.pro-classifieds.com/portal/articles/articlesDetail.asp?id % http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/pro_engineer/tutorials_proe.htm
David Janes
Andrew Xiang : > wrote: : > : > > I have a parts in front of me. and I don't see : > > Place views?? : > > Can you tell me the exact menu? : > : > Apparently you need basic training. : > : > You can't just press a button and have a drawing appear (unless you've : > put lots of work into automation). : > : > I suggest you read the manauls, specificaly the drawing manual. : > : > But then it sounds like you just want to print out a picture with some : > dims. So just show the dimensions you need (not too many at a time) and : > print. : > : > Chris