Multiple copies of Wildfire student edition

Hello,
I am considering purchasing the Wildfire student edition. But before I dish out $300, I'd like to know the following: Can I have the
program installed on my computer at home (where I reside for 8 months of the year) and also have it installed on my other home computer, on the other side of the country, where I reside during the summer? I'd like to be able to use Wildfire year-round.
Thanks
You've bought the software from JourneyEd, purportedly. PTC has nothing to do with the $300, one license or twenty licenses. You just install the software on a second machine and go to them for the second license.
DJ
: > : Hello, : > : : > : I am considering purchasing the Wildfire student edition. But before : > : I dish out $300, I'd like to know the following: Can I have the : > : program installed on my computer at home (where I reside for 8 months : > : of the year) and also have it installed on my other home computer, on : > : the other side of the country, where I reside during the summer? I'd : > : like to be able to use Wildfire year-round. : > : : > : Thanks : > : > This is a link to the Student Edition FAQ on ptc.com: : > : > http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/studentedFAQ1.htm#11 : > : > This is point 22, about installing on more than one machine: : > : > Is there a limitation on the number of machines the Student Edition Pro/ENGINEER : > package can be installed and started on? : > A license file must be obtained for each machine that Pro/ENGINEER will be : > installed on. : > : > Other points in FAQ relate a little about how to obtain an account and register : > the software. Principally, everything requires internet access and a web browser. : > A high speed, always-on connection is encouraged, not sure how dialup would work, : > but the SE is network aware and won't run without the connection. For example, the : > license file gets store locally, but Pro/e may be going to ptc.com to verify the : > license, it acting as a remote license server. Also, tech support is not handled : > at all by PTC, but through JourneyEd.com where you purchase the software, so it : > can be complicated. I had trouble installing because of a bogus host id name (url : > style instead of ip address) and went to JourneyEd for help. Got an email from : > them asking some dumb questions, figured it out myself and wrote them back telling : > them not to bother before I ever got a call. : > : > David Janes
DJ,
When you say "You just install the software on a second machine and go to them for the second license", do you mean go to JourneyEd? Or Pro/E? DO you mean I'd have to get a second license and pay for it, or could I get it for free?
Thanks

I know this is hard to believe, you have every right to be skeptical as this implies some new found generosity or liberality on PTC's part, but.......... you buy the software once from JourneyEd (one payment of $300) and install it on one, two, or more machines, getting the license for each from PTC. The trick is they're making it easy to get, then milking you for money later (upgrade support, buy the real Foundation, etc., a marketing gimmick to rope you in ~ slicker than their usual heavy handed tactics, but desperation makes companies a little more creative). The first thing is they want to get you to their web site and the User area. If you install it the way they want, it later logs you directly to their website and the User area every time you start Pro/e where you can find 'Menu Mapper', help files, tutorials, update info, TPIs, much more.
I know, I know, sounds too easy, but, hey, if you get it installed once, try it on the second machine. What's the worst that can happen? You spent $300 for the usual deal and have to take the whole summer off, Professor. Torture me more!
[...]
It sounds as if the student edition license agreement means you need to buy two copies. However, I wouldn't worry about transferring the license as long as you can be reasonably certain it won't be used simultaneously. This is very common practice for many softwares, and nobody would ever give you an issue with it.
Is the student edition license node-locked to the network card? If so, it wouldn't be too hard to remove the card and take it (and the software, license) with you when you relocate each year.
Dave

Pro/ENGINEER
be
register
browser.
would work,

example, the

verify the

handled
software, so it

name (url

email from

back telling

or just stay where you live and if it gets too cold just make a fire. too hot? just sweat it out dude or go surfing... or steal a copy from Kazaa.. yeah that will be the day. You sound like you want to know what happends if they catch you doing it... . you go to jail or pay up. probably. NA!, they don't even care that much.

before
months
on
I'd
will
web
not
id
Do yourself and your wallet a favor and whenever you travel to the other side of the country, take the NIC out of your computer, and install it in the other computer !
Really, Jurgen, if you want to do yourself a favor and save some real money, when you get to the summer home, throw the damn computer in the lake.
On the other hand, and, if you have the cajones for it, take that Wildfire software, which you've already paid for, and install the CD on the second computer. And screw the annelids! Well, I mean, not really, I mean, the Cenozoic was so interesting. In it's place, you know, really, I mean, you know.
David Janes