ProE WIldfire Student Edition - license expire after 24.0 hours

I just installed the ProE Wildfire Student Edition, with the license file from JourneyEd.com.
It worked fine the first day. After 24.0 hours, I now get a pop-up
error msg window that says:
"Your CD software has expired and can no longer used. Contact your PTC software sales representative."
JourneyEd.com says its because my PC is on a home network, which it is, become a DSL router. I have a physical Ethernet LAN card, so the host id remains fixed, as verified by "ipconfig /all"
I re-installed the entire software, to no avail. So I requested another license file from JourneyEd.com. I uninstalled everything and re-installed all with the new password file.
But I still get the same error message.
: I just installed the ProE Wildfire Student Edition, with the license : file from JourneyEd.com. : : It worked fine the first day. After 24.0 hours, I now get a pop-up : error msg window that says: : : "Your CD software has expired and can no longer : used. Contact your PTC software sales representative." : Did you try getting the license file from PTC? When WF first came out, you'd buy the software from JourneyEd and license it from PTC. You'd get an account with PTC, log on to their site and give them your mac address (which ipconfig identifies as your 'physical address'), give them an email address and they'd send you your license file. When you ran the installation program and it asked you for the license file, you'd just browse to the saved text file. Installation would complete and, from then on, smooth sailing. Or, at least as much smooth as you can expect from PTC.
David Janes
: : I just installed the ProE Wildfire Student Edition, with the license : : file from JourneyEd.com. : : : : It worked fine the first day. After 24.0 hours, I now get a pop-up : : error msg window that says: : : : : "Your CD software has expired and can no longer : : used. Contact your PTC software sales representative." : : : Did you try getting the license file from PTC? When WF first came out, you'd buy : the software from JourneyEd and license it from PTC. You'd get an account with : PTC, log on to their site and give them your mac address (which ipconfig : identifies as your 'physical address'), give them an email address and they'd send : you your license file. When you ran the installation program and it asked you for : the license file, you'd just browse to the saved text file. Installation would : complete and, from then on, smooth sailing. Or, at least as much smooth as you can : expect from PTC. : : David Janes : Wait, this may be the timeout thing that PTC fixed and JourneyEd was supposed to reissue a corrected CD for. Call JourneyEd and mention the timeout issue with Pro/e, find out when their replacement CD is coming out. Tell them PTC sent you to them.

Funnily enough, I've just suffered this after 3 weeks of use.
Nothing's changed on my PC. I've tried de and reinstalling and using a new lic file. All to no avail.
Can't believe this is anything to do with the home network...
Chris
: > I just installed the ProE Wildfire Student Edition, with the license : > file from JourneyEd.com. : > : > It worked fine the first day. After 24.0 hours, I now get a pop-up : > error msg window that says: : > : > "Your CD software has expired and can no longer : > used. Contact your PTC software sales representative." : > : > JourneyEd.com says its because my PC is on a home network, : > which it is, become a DSL router. I have a physical Ethernet : > LAN card, so the host id remains fixed, as verified by : > "ipconfig /all" : > : > I re-installed the entire software, to no avail. So I requested : > another license file from JourneyEd.com. I uninstalled everything : > and re-installed all with the new password file. : > : > But I still get the same error message. : : Funnily enough, I've just suffered this after 3 weeks of use. : : Nothing's changed on my PC. : I've tried de and reinstalling and using a new lic file. All to no avail. : : Can't believe this is anything to do with the home network... : : Chris :
Try setting the system date back to 4/1. I'm betting Pro/e will load and run as usual. Big daddy Pro/e met and overcame its 'timeout' problem about a month ago. Patches were readied, people downloaded them through the winter and not much was said about the SE of Pro/e. Later, they said that a replacement CD would be available toward the middle or end of March from JourneyEd. But when people call JourneyEd, they play dumb.
Keep shaking those trees. Maybe a monkey will fall out that actually knows something and is naive or disgruntled enough to talk. If this were a normal business operation, everyone at JourneyEd would know about the timeout problem, have the information right at hand about what to do and just take care of business. Now, apparently, you've got to bribe someone like you're dealing with shysters and shady characters running some kind of scam, selling 'authentic Nikes' out of the trunk of their car.
David Janes

avail.
run as

month ago.

much was

be
people call

normal
problem,
with
'authentic Nikes'

Well, googling for something useful, I came across http://www.proestudent.com/Timeout , which leads you to a page on the JourneyEd site, allowing you to order a downloadable patch (probably huge). I've just signed up for it, but will doubtless have wait until the end of the holiday until this gets processed...
Chris

David, Actually, I had tried resetting the data. Sure enough, returning to 4-08-04 allowed ProE to run. I determined ProE would run up to and including 4-09-04 1:56 PM, whereas I did not complete the first install until about 2:30 PM. It fails to start at 1:57 PM. Hmmmm.
The date of the first sw_license_email_#####.txt was 4-08-04 1:57 PM. So at 24:00 beyond the "first" downloaded license file, ProE quits. Even downloading sever more license files will not cause change the timeout date and time! How stupid is that.
Yes, agree JourneyEd appeared stupid to claim that having another PC attached to the DSL router would cause the problem. But I had a real Ethernet card, so the addresses was fixed. I caution anyone with a Ethernet chip-on-board to buy a $15-20 Ethernet card to avoid pitfalls of the address changing upon installing certain software. Has anyone gotten a new vers 1 CD from JourneyEd? Mine was 2003100, and I prefer one that says 2004075 at least, or still better VERSION 2.0 -- which is available, but not for Wildfire SE until summer. Lamit is already using vers 2.0 of his book at DeAnza College, I hear, which implies students are using ver 2.0 (and gotten vers 2.0 for home use with the class?)
Darryl C
<snip> : Has anyone gotten a new vers 1 CD from JourneyEd?
Try this link that Chris found. It's not a new disk but a downloadable patch from JourneyEd. Then, let us know if it does.
http://www.proestudent.com/Timeout
Don't know about Wildfire 2, when the Professional or Student Editions will be available. Lamit could be getting a jump on the release by using the pre-production version.
David Janes wrote:

The patch is due some time today, apparently..
Chris wrote:

I received a Fedex doc. wallet with the patched CDs about an hour ago.
Up and running again!
Chris
: I received a Fedex doc. wallet with the patched CDs about an hour ago. : : Up and running again! : : Chris : Good to hear! And thanks for keeping us informed.
You hear that, Student Edition users! Follow this link to get your license problems solved:
http://www.proestudent.com/Timeout
I don't get to say this often enough but it needs to be said now: Way to go, PTC and JourneyEd, fairly professionally handled (with the exception that you had lists of customers but didn't tell anyone what was going on and let the fit hit the shan before you took action). Oh, well, this still beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Oh, yeah, and it's free!!!
David Janes
What!? No chocolate easter eggs!??? 8^)
: What!? No chocolate easter eggs!??? 8^)
Ahhh, well they would have scored points bigtime with chocolate anything! But FedEx at your door at half bad either.