ProE Won't Start

Hello All,

I have just purchased a new notebook that has Windows XP Pro loaded on it. My old notebook has Windows 2000 Pro. I'm using ProE 2001 and using my PCMCIA network card as the hardware address for the license.

I installed the network card from my old notebook into the new notebook, no problems all works as it should. But when I installed ProE on the new notebook it will only get to the splash screen and then goes away. It acts as if there is no license but I've transferred the network card that the license should be looking for.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

do you have a cable in the network card? is it connected to a network. I know this has been an issue with some of the installations of proE I have done in the past. I don't have time to look it up, but it might have something to do with ethersense. You might have to disable it. also, did you reinstall proE or just copy it over? to help diagnosing, is it a floating license, or can you get access to one? if you can use this license it will tell you whether it is a license error, or a ProE installation error cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

My best guess would be that the nic has a new MAC address, from what I understand this is what proe license file is looking for

-Peter

Reply to
Just Me

No, I am using the old nic card from the old notebook. If I stick it back in the old unit ProE starts right up. It's when I insert the nic in the XP notebook ProE won't start, at least only up to the splash screen.

Reply to
NoSpam

Use ipconfig to check the mac address on both the old and new computers and make sure they're the same. There are other places besides the nic that it can pick up the mac address, for example, the cpu. Do pcmcia cards require some setup or are they plug n' play?

David Janes

: > -Peter : >

: > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:09:35 GMT, "NoSpam" wrote: : >

: > > Hello All, : > >

: > >I have just purchased a new notebook that has Windows XP Pro loaded on : it. : > >My old notebook has Windows 2000 Pro. I'm using ProE 2001 and using my : > >PCMCIA network card as the hardware address for the license. : > >

: > >I installed the network card from my old notebook into the new notebook, : no : > >problems all works as it should. But when I installed ProE on the new : > >notebook it will only get to the splash screen and then goes away. It : acts : > >as if there is no license but I've transferred the network card that the : > >license should be looking for. : > >

: > >Any ideas? : > >

: > >Thanks : > >

: > >Brian : > >

: >

: :

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David, I did try that and the mac address shows up on both as the only ethernet address on the systems. Actually I didn't think that it would install if the address was wrong. This is an early release of 2001, meaning I got it just as it was released. I am concerned that it won't run on XP. But it shouldn't have loaded as I know it goes through hardware checks and software checks during installation.

I'm stumped.

Reply to
NoSpam

In the new notebook, does it have a built in ethernet card? If so, make sure it is disabled in the BIOS. Pro is very vulnerable to nic conflicts and will oftentimes use an id which is completely alien if there is a conflict because of 2 cards being present. Open up a DOS window and run \Program Files\proe2001\bin\cpu_id.bat which will return the host id, or from the run in the start menu or from windows explorer run \Program Files\proe2001\bin\ptcsetup.bat and the host id will appear at the bottom. If this is different than the id that is returned in ipconfig then you have some kind of conflict in cards. Hope this helps. Nick

Reply to
Nick

Hi Nick, The notebook has only the NIC card that I have installed, and I ran the ipconfig /all command and then the ptcsetup.bat to check the IP hardware address, as well as the host name. All matches up as it should. I'm totally baffled. I've tried reinstalling the program a few times but can't get past the splash screen on this notebook. What is so odd is I can start it up fine on the old notebook when the NIC card is switched.

Frustrating.....

Reply to
NoSpam

No license files involved, no communication with PTC.COM, no pinging your system to determine addresses?

: >

: > On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:15:16 GMT, "NoSpam" wrote: : >

: > >Hi David, : > >I did try that and the mac address shows up on both as the only ethernet : > >address on the systems. Actually I didn't think that it would install if : the : > >address was wrong. : > >This is an early release of 2001, meaning I got it just as it was : released. : > >I am concerned that it won't run on XP. But it shouldn't have loaded as I : > >know it goes through hardware checks and software checks during : > >installation. : > >

: > >I'm stumped. : > >

: > >

[...]

: > >> : >

: > >> : : > >> : : > >>

: > >>

: > >

: >

: :

Reply to
David Janes

I've tried it connected to the network and not connected with the same results. I don't have access to a floating network license. ProE has been completely reinstalled several times today actually. What is ethersense? I've never heard about that.

Reply to
NoSpam

I have a license file, It came on the CD when purchased for the other notebook that the NIC card came from. System has been pinged with the /a option to resolve the address, it's correct. Have no service contract with PTC, can't afford that.

Reply to
NoSpam

Ethersense is a stupid bit of windows programming on laptops that shuts off a network card if there is no Ethernet installed on it Also (dredging memory here) do you have dial up networking on your computer? if so remove it, and then re-install it. this will make sure that the Mac address that proE is accessing is the network card, not the dial-up networking. Also try a search on googlegroups

for anything we haven't thought of yet cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

Pro E uses the cpu id in it's license. That is why the old computer works and the new doesn't. You need to run the cpu_id utility and change the value in the license file in order to run Pro E on new laptop.

Reply to
Cox SMTP east

Or, just get a new license file from PTC based on the mac address. This isn't that big of a deal. It isn't like you're getting permission from Congress to invade Iraq.

David Janes

: > > No license files involved, no communication with PTC.COM, no pinging : your : > system : > > to determine addresses? : > >

: > > : >

: > > : > On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:15:16 GMT, "NoSpam" wrote: : > > : >

: > > : > >Hi David, : > > : > >I did try that and the mac address shows up on both as the only : > ethernet : > > : > >address on the systems. Actually I didn't think that it would : install : > if : > > : the : > > : > >address was wrong. : > > : > >This is an early release of 2001, meaning I got it just as it was : > > : released. : > > : > >I am concerned that it won't run on XP. But it shouldn't have : loaded : > as I : > > : > >know it goes through hardware checks and software checks during : > > : > >installation. : > > : > >

: > > : > >I'm stumped. : > > : > >

: > > : > >

[...]

: > > : > >> : >

: > > : > >> : : > > : > >> : : > > : > >>

: > > : > >>

: > > : > >

: > > : >

: > > : : > > : : > >

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
David Janes

Reply to
Boltman

Last time this happened to me it was the graphics drivers.

Reply to
dakeb

[...]

: > : >

[...]

I have to agree with Boltman about checking the environment variable. The retailer could have upgraded the computer from 98 or ME without your knowing it.

So, just for laughs, go to the Control Panel, and find the System tool (or if it's set to Category View, first pick Performance and Maintenance). Click the Advanced tab. At the bottom, click the Environment Variables button. Scroll to the bottom of the System Variables list. There should a Windir with a value of C:\Windows. There should be no variable called Winbootdir. This variable makes our poor, simple $30k program think that it's a non-NT system. So, if you find this variable, delete it, then reinstal Pro/e as an NT instal. The installer should automatically recognize it as such when it installs and show NT as the system on the first or second installation page, where you pick the options to instal. You should, prior to this, have placed the license file in an easily accessible place, likek the root of C:\ so that you can point the installer to it when it asks for the file. But, even if there's a license problem, it should at least start. And, if there's a license problem you'll get a FlexLM error number in a message box and a description of the problem. The only 'blinking off' that I'm acquainted with happens as Boltman said, when it's loading non-NT code on an NT system.

[...]

: : >

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David, I did as you have suggested, it is C:\Windows for the windir value. This is a Dell Inspiron notebook anyway so I'm pretty sure they would have installed XP Pro from the get go. I spoke to PTC and they said that I have another problem, that it's not a license issue. But of course as I don't have a maintenance contract I can't get any other information from them.

Grrrrr...

Reply to
NoSpam

Are you logged on as an administrator. Pro chokes at the splash screen if you don't have admin rights.

Reply to
Bob Alexander