ProE Won't Start

Are you logged on as an administrator. Pro chokes at the splash screen if you don't have admin rights.

Reply to
NoSpam

Are you logged on as an administrator. Pro chokes at the splash screen if you don't have admin rights.

Reply to
NoSpam

Hmm, now it sounds like a graphical problem for this to happen? For giggles, boot up using the the generic vga driver and if that works, use a different graphics driver?

And, since you are there, have you checked/compared network services being used? It could be a conflict with a network service? Maybe, uninstall the network services, reboot and re-install them?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

That's what I said 24 hours ago at the bottom of this thread. It will be the graphics drivers.

Reply to
dakeb

Hi David, Actually I didn't see your post as my internet provider, Road Runner does a terrible job with the "comp" news groups. Half the time I don't see my original post so I repost it and then get yelled at ;-)

It ended being a setting for the Open GL drivers. I got a hold of NVIDIA as that's the card that I have (and is recommended on the PTC web site) explained my problem and they told me to set the "Buffer-Ripping Mode" to "Use block transfer" so what ever that means it starts now.

I thank all of you for the great help.

Regards Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

That's okay. Strange, I also use Nvidia, and my Buffer Ripping Mode is set to Auto Select and it works fine. Guess it's auto selecting Use Block Transfer. Can't you use Outlook Express for your newsgroups?

Reply to
dakeb

: Can't you use Outlook Express for your newsgroups? : The problem is the news service RR contracts to provide news, not the news reader, which is all OE is.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I do use Outlook Express, but RoadRunner seams to have issues with the news groups. For instance I show that this news group has only 67 messages. And I have my news reader set to download 500 at a time.

Reply to
NoSpam

Well, almost all of them. Under 'Tools>Options', there's a maintenance tab with a setting for how long to save messages. When that option is checked it will show you messages falling in the period you have set. If you've read them (or synchronized the accounts), they are actually stored on your hard drive in a folder, but beyond the period you have set, it will not display them. So, the shorter the period (and the slower the NG), the fewer the message headers showing in the header window.

In other words, I'd check this stuff before beating up RR about bad service cuz they'll just take you through the same steps.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

It's actually an RR problem, I've used Outlook Express since the Windows 95 days and am very familiar with it. I've even tried a few other news readers with the same results. Also when I have used other providers with out these problems.

Reply to
NoSpam

Wow, now I'm curious why/how "Use block transfer" mode effects the license retrieval?

I do not have a notebook but have always had the default setting "Auto-select".

So, this may only be a notebook issue?

Makes you go...... hmm.....?

..

NoSpam wrote: