Ethernet card turns off on laptop

Dell Precision M50, Win XP Pro

Ive been running ProE on this machine for 2 1/2 yrs. New problem - my ethernet card is not being seen when starting ProE - therefore no license.

Device manager says it is running ok. If I connect to a network then it is seen and ProE starts up. Is the card being turned off by XP when I'm not using it? How do I keep it active?

Recent changes to my system are most recent windows updates and installation of an ASDL modem.

Current fix is to keep a hub with me, power it up and plug it in to get ProE to start - not very convenient.

Any ideas?

Sean

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sean Kerslake Dept. of Design & Technology Loughborough University LE11 3TU

01509 228317

Reply to
SeanK

In short your problem is that the Windows XP media sensing feature disables your network adapter when it senses that it is not pluged in. check this link on how to dissable media sensing in XP.

Hugo

Reply to
huggre

Cheers Hugo - all fixed.