CAD Translation reccomendation

We are in need of translating designs from Autocad Inventor to Pro-Engineer. Could anyone reccomend a good translation company to handle such a conversion. We would expect all part/assembly and drawing relationships to be maintained as well as geometry to dimension.

Thank you

Reply to
watsons

Caltex

Well Pro-E will open Inventor files and I know that Inventor will ope Pro-E files. Are you going to be using Intralink? You be better of writing a batch program that will open your Inventor parts in Pro an then save them off.

If you are using Intralink, you could do it external of Intralink an

then import them into Intralink after the fact. That way you coul check them for accuracy and what not

Hope this helps, Glenn |B

Reply to
GWDavis28

Reply to
Caltex

Don't think so. Autodesk Inventor file extensions; *.ipt, *.iam, *.idw.

*.iv is the file extension used by Open Inventor, etc. (VRML type data?).

V20 (?, pre "encrypted") latest. No go after that.

Neutral translations are the only option I'm aware of; no features, associativity of drawings to models, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

[quote:84b95431af]Well Pro-E will open Inventor files ..

Jeff, thanx I wrote that from home (no Pro-E) and I was trying to d

it off the top of my head. Your right, but I know that Inventor ca open Pro-E parts and assemblies directly, can Inventor save it's ow files to .prt and .asm?

Glenn |B

Reply to
GWDavis28

one's been around for awhile and I've heard people swear by them, however, no direct experience.

BTW, if Inventor has licensed GRANITE, "the interoperability kernel", you have a shot at exporting/import from/to Inventor to Pro/e. Also, if Pro/e has licensed the ACIS kernel, you've got a shot at getting Pro/e files into Inventor.

However, I can say for a fact that SolidWorks' claim to directly open native Pro/e files is a come on. And unless we want to get into a semantic debate over what one "means" by opening native Pro/e files, we should look at what you get out of this process: is it a dumb solid (which is what your get out of SW) or is it a feature-based, parametric and associative solid model. No such thing exists in the world (unless it by arrangement between two software publishers). There is certainly no feature-based, parametric neutral format to use as the gobetween. In spite of a 10-year history of a STEP committee devoted to exactly that.

Reply to
David Janes

Version 20 (?) and previous versions.

No.

There's a probable reason for that. Adesk is not at all hip to interoperability, even within their own family of products. Inventor was originally conceived as a competitor to Pro/E. The goal was to offer a convenient legacy data migration route. Thus no two way interoperability. I guess, too, that their failure to keep up with it means they've lowered the bar a bit; more worried about Alibre rustling their customers than trying to bait PTC's. 8~)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I've a casual curiosity re the few feature translators that are on the market. The name Proficiency comes to mind, but there are a few others. The interest is casual because they run in the 20 to 30K US range, if what I've read is correct. If you think about what it would take to translate a feature like Pro/E's VSS into another system the cost is understandable, I guess. (These systems don't claim to be bullet proof, either. Where a parametric feature can't be duplicated static geometry is created.)

I have never even heard rumors of an associative to model drawing translator.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Reply to
Caltex

Thanx Jeff

Glenn |B

Reply to
GWDavis28

I'm not the guy you want to ask. The original post appears to be looking for someone that will re-model and re-draw native Pro/E. Is that what you are offering to do? Or are you just using this thread to advertise another service (translation to non-parametric, non-associative geometry)?

Just FYI; IV to Pro/E translations of model geometry via STEP would not necessarily require any "healing", deep or otherwise. Translating drawings out of IV to DWG is another story.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Try these guys:

Thinkpath Inc., Dayton

2800 E. River Rd., 3rd Fl. Dayton, Ohio, 45439, USA tel: 937.643.4100 fax: 937.643.4110

This Thinkpath location specializes in: Engineering Services On-Site Engineering Support Engineering Documentation & CAD Data Translations

I've used them several times in the past & they have always done a good job.

Reply to
md1

It took me a while to get smart and go to the source for the answer to the question: what kind of file do you get out of this translation process ~ a dumb solid blob ala IGES? or, a feature-based, parametric, and associative one. The Inventor Knowledge Base provided the answer.

?id=2882752&linkID=4183228&siteID=123112 In short, you can directly open Pro/e files created prior to rel. 21 (2000i?) and features, history tree, parametrics are not preserved.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Try: