ProE license for dual-boot configuration

I am trying to install my ProE under Linux. Unfortunately, the license pack I have is for the Windows install and I am using the Windows installation for work, so I'd like to avoid officially transfering the license to the Linux install until I am sure it works to my satisfaction.

I am using a dual-boot system, so the MAC address for which the license pack was generated remains the same.

Is there any way to make Pro/E Setup under Linux understand the license file generated for Windows?

My license pack (for the floating license) says that during the License Manager Setup I should import it and the words HOSTNAME and PTCD_PATH in the following lines of the license pack:

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------- #START: License File for CPUID XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX #--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SERVER __HOSTNAME__ PTC_HOSTID=XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX 7788 DAEMON ptc_d __PTCD_PATH__

will be replaced with the actual computer's hostname and path to the ptc_d executable.

Can I import the same license pack into the Linux setup? Or is there a way to copy the already existing license file used by FlexLM under Windows and just change the appropriate strings so that the Linux version of the FlexLM recognizes it?

Alex Sh.

Reply to
Alex Sh.

Boltman
[]

Alex,

the license files should be the same, but...

your problem is that with a floating license on a single dual-boot machine there had to bee an equivalent license server on both systems since they do not run simultaneously, right? So you either install from scratch for both windows and linux and then share the MAC only, or you go and have a second machine and some additional network card.

The then license server (this may be slow, old and cheap junk) with that network card your license is bound to will allow you to have as much installations as you want on systems of your choice - but only running as much proe seats as you bought at a time through the license count.

Why have more installations than seats? Now, if some system goes nuts or a machine crashes - such things happen, even with Intel/Microsoft ;-) - you easily switch to another place and continue work after a simple "ptcflush" to release your license on the server.

Walther

Reply to
Walther

If you're using a file system that both os'es can read (can Linux read FAT32 these days ?) then all you have to do when you get to the point in the installation where you choose 'nodelocked license' is point the install script to the location of your license file when it asks, which is probably in a Windows fs directory at this point.

if you're not, then you could just copy it over to the Linux partition somewhere (by floppy ?) and everything should work. You may have to watch out for the Windows/ DOS/Unix CR/LF difference is all.

This is applicable if you choose node-locked single license. You don't need to change anything if you are dual-booting within a single machine.

Reply to
hamei