Looking for a calculator

As per subject. I want one for the workshop with big buttons and a large display so i can see it without diving for my specs (mildly longsighted)
Ideally I'd operate this in a ploy back to keep out oil and swarf.
Must be able to to do squares/roots and basic trig functions.
I can find lots of 4 function calculators but no scientific ones.
What do you guys us in the workshop??
TIA
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Erm! that was of course for use in a "poly bag"
Bob

Texas Instruments or HP had the best ranges a few years back, but I don't think they make them these days.
Plenty around, but the large button/scale might be a problem.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=scientific+calculator
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Look out for a make called TEXET, I have one I use which has a reasonable screen and buttons.
Martin P

Forgot to mention that you have a copy of ZEUS handy to use with the calculator.
Martin P

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:08:52 +0000, Peter A Forbes wrote:

from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=scientific+calculator
I still use my slide rule - never put batteries in it yet :-) It's usable with gloves on as well.
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Neil Ellwood wrote:

Thanks for that reminder Neil
I will dig out my trusty slide rule.
Bob

I use the computer. LCD screen is attached to the wall with a telescopic bracket thingie, Keyboards are replaceable, but currently a long way from most of the crud. apart from the Ultrasonic cleaner next to it and the bowl of degreaser directly in front of it (I have a "Stevenson bench").
Mark Rand RTFM

telescopic
from most

bowl of

Like Mark I use a PC but mine is a low spec Toughbook laptop that happily shrugs off workshop debris. The low spec ones go for peanuts on ebay.
AWEM
.I apologise for going off at a tangent, stealing the posting and having a 'senior moment' ( What else?) I was about to dump an old laptop which had been lent out to a mate to do Lodge accounts and the guy had the audacity to bring it back.
Assuming that I have to re-format etc, the thing, what programs are best suitable for the purpose. Sorry, Bob, to pinch the plot--- but I have two of damned things which I was going to bin.
Norman
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:25:21 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674

Norman If you install XP then there is the inbuilt calculator The Ubuntu Linux Install (Free) has a calculator which I have not pushed.
Apart from a calculator
In addition if installing a MS windows system there are a considerable number of utilites at <www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/index.html> a huge number of useful programs
Model Engineers Utilities at <http://www.colinusher.info/Software/Model%20Engineers%20Utilities.html is an an additional program that I use regularly.
Of course there is always your Slide Rule<G> Cannot throw mine away, and for jobs like setting a topslide angle the results are probably more than adequate.
Richard
Richard, Actually, I had been toying with Linux. No nothing about it.
As far as Windows is concerned, I'd forgotten about Mark Klotz and Colin Usher's sites.
My thanks to you for the information. A guessing stick? I really need a bigger white stick than that.
Thanks for allowing me to pinch the post. I'm sure that I won't be the only one to say- 'Oooh, err?' at seemingly useless bits that we really don't want to throw out.
Cheers
Norm
In article

It's supposed to be more secure than Windows, and certainly loads *much* faster at switch-on. It'll run at a reasonable rate on much lower-spec PC's than modern versions of Windows will manage, and it's totally free. For Unix beginners I'd recommend the implementation known as 'Ubuntu', which is practically self-installing and has excellent community support. It is also easy to install a 'Dual-boot' system, whereby you decide whether to boot into Windows or Linux at switch-on time.

I've successfully run a number of Windows programs under a Linux utility called 'Wine'. Not all programs will run, as the original had to have been written to proper Windows standards, without sneaky short-cuts - although in many cases the Wine developers have coded to allow for the most common of these. There are also DOS emulators which will run under Linux for Marv Klotz's excellent DOS programs - however, if using the implementation of Linux called 'Ubuntu' (which I'd recommend) go for Vn 7 rather than Vn 8 which has problems with DOS. Ubuntu also has excellent native implementations of most of the other programs you might need (Mail, News, Browser, Word-processor, Spreadsheet, Graphics etc.), most of which are compatible at the file-interchange level with the relevant Windows programs, and all of which are free.
<SNIP>

A bit of a hobby-horse of mine, although there are charities which will pass unwanted old kit on to needy countries (but make sure you wipe your hard-disk properly first - just empying the waste-basket won't do...)
HTH
--
Bob Unitt (UK)

Thanks, Bob for the additional comments.
Actually the old laptop was churning out for what is surprisingly the World's Largest Charity. No hobby horses but I am still looking for the goat. Found two 'spotty dogs' on the Ravensworth bit!
Thank again to one and all
Norman

Bob
-to return to your original post, keep an eye on Aldi (there's one just down the road in Romsey, as you probably know. I bought an excellent scientific calculator there a few months back for just 2.99. Reasonable size keys and display, solar/battery powered, and more functions than you will ever need. The item is not on sale just at the moment, but it will almost certainly come round again.
Mike

Meantime, Netto has quite a selection of 'engineering' stuff from Tomorrow 1st Dec. Worth a look?
Norm

Ciao has very cheap offers for sciebtific calculators at present
Ciao and that Norm
mikecb1 wrote:

Thanks Mike,
I get their newsletters - so I'll keep an eye open for the next time they come up.
Bob

Depends upon how old it is. The installation cd for windows may have f disk and format on it. If it used windows 98 or 98se make a boot floppy. That should have the above software. Another solution is to download the hard drive utilities from almost any maker. Most of those can recertify the hard drive by writing ones an zeros to it. The installation program can create a partition table and format the drive. I will ask for a windows CD, or DOS boot disk.
Steve R.
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 03:31:57 -0800, Steve R. wrote:

He could also try linux such as 'puppy linux or DSL - there are many others too.
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l