rehash a new request, looking for a flight pack

Hi, I am looking to get a reciever, three servos and battery pack for a
rocket boosted glider. I already have a airtronics 4ch TX. just what should
I be looking for in prices for such a collection of parts? the flight packs
on Ebay seem a bit pricey
Reply to
tater schuld
Flight packs AVERAGE about $100.00, with the packs for electrics/gliders being higher. This is USUALLY for a STANDARD receiver, 600mah battery and 4 STANDARD servos. For a glider you will most likely want/need micro or sub micro servos. Just be sure the servos will have enough torque for you needs. Also make sure the receiver is a DUAL CONVERSION receiver since they have a substantially better range than the single conversion receivers.
Servo City
Balsa Products
(I have had excellent results with their Blue Bird servos )
Reply to
Ted Campanelli
Let me add one thing to what Ted wrote. Be sure the RX that comes with your flight pack is the same phase shift as your TX.
Dr.1
Reply to
Dr1
hmmmm, I only need 3 servos (rudder, elevator, aileron) and I already have a batery. would it be cheaper to just get the reciever and three servos? what would prices be for that?
I figgured that. I believe I have in my large pile of odball equipment that I have a servo or two from land based RC vehicle projects. is there a difference between ground and air servos?
only need a range of a thousand feet at most. what is the trade off point between single and dual?
Reply to
tater schuld
It's frequency shift, and it goes by brand -- Just make sure that the reciever is listed as being compatible. There are a few aftermarket receivers that autodetect, which is cool.
Reply to
Tim Wescott
Tater, if you have an Airtronics transmitter, you should get a receiver that is compatible with JR or Airtronics (they have positive shift). I think Multiplex is also postive shift. Futaba and Hitec equipment (unless the Hitec aftermarket stuff is specifically for JR/Airtronics) use negative shift and won't work with your Airtronics transmitter. There are Airtronics transmitters, such as the RD6000/8000 series, that are shift selectable and can be programmed to use any brand receiver. BTW, they all have to be FM (PPM). If you have a PCM rig, you have to use the same brand receiver.
Morris
Reply to
Morris Lee
Hitec Feather says range is 1000 feet and costs $21. It is available for Futaba/Hitec or JR/Airtronics.
needs a $8 single conversion crystal
Your land based servos will be fine if they are the right size and weight for your glider. Some very old servos use connectors that do not fit current receivers but those can be cut off and replaced. The most basic standard servos are $9 each
servos start at $10.50
start at $11.38
I have no idea whether these minis or micros are strong enough for your application; I just spent about 5 minutes searching a few common mail order web sites for inexpensive parts. GWS servo specs available at

Carrell
Hitec Feather RX's are known to get hit easily, I wouldn't chance a glider with one. I fly with a big group of electric flyers and everyone avoids them now.
PCPhill
Reply to
PCPhill
| Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not | so great) words of knowledge: | | Flight packs AVERAGE about $100.00, with the packs for electrics/gliders | being higher. This is USUALLY for a STANDARD receiver, 600mah battery | and 4 STANDARD servos. For a glider you will most likely want/need | micro or sub micro servos. Just be sure the servos will have enough | torque for you needs. Also make sure the receiver is a DUAL CONVERSION | receiver since they have a substantially better range than the single | conversion receivers.
Not all single conversion receivers are bad. The Berg and most of the JR receivers are single conversion and good, for example.
talks about the differences, though to be fair it's written by a guy who sells single conversion receivers. (Good ones, but still ...)
The Hitec Feather is CRAP. Stay away. A better choice for a dirt cheap single conversion receiver is the GWS 4P. It still has limited range and limited ability to reject interference, but it's far better than the Feather.
I wrote this quick summary of the dual conversion vs. single conversion receivers out there. Maybe it'll help --
| Servo City
| Balsa Products
(I have had excellent results | with their Blue Bird servos )
I've had good results from both. Also
is good too, and last I checked was the cheapest source for the GWS 4P ($28 including crystal.) (Though I'd probably suggest the FMA M5 for $55 instead.)
Reply to
Doug McLaren
I cant remember if I mentioned this, but the glider in question is one of the $5 gliders available everywhere, so I am not risking a lot.
I'll probably go with the feather, and if any issues come up i'll upgrade. Right now I need to get the gear so I can see how to distribute weight. then I gotta see how effective the flight controls will be with the design I have in mind.
Then I'll strap a rocket to it!
Reply to
tater schuld
| I cant remember if I mentioned this, but the glider in question is one of | the $5 gliders available everywhere, so I am not risking a lot.
Well, you'll probably have $100 worth of R/C gear on it ...
There's also the danger of the plane hitting something or someone fragile, though anybody familiar with rockets should be well aware of that danger ...
| I'll probably go with the feather, and if any issues come up i'll upgrade. | Right now I need to get the gear so I can see how to distribute weight. then | I gotta see how effective the flight controls will be with the design I have | in mind.
The GWS 4P is better (better range, better at rejecting inference), smaller and cheaper.
$28 w/crystal, $2 (I think) shipping.
Be sure to get one with positive shift to work with your Airtronics radio.
| Then I'll strap a rocket to it!
Be sure to film it. People love to see films of things like that, success or failure (though I suspect failures are more popular :)
Reply to
Doug McLaren
yep. initial flight tests will be with a minimized audience. me and a cameraman.
yep. looked like the one i was getting...
yeah, you should see some of the failures in our clubs gallery
Reply to
tater schuld

Site Timeline