Model rocket supplies in Australia

Hi group,

Some friends and I have recently started mucking around with model rockets, and are trying to find somewhere in Australia that has decent stock and prices for engines and parts etc. Having had a quick look overseas (apogeerockets, hobbylinc, launchpad2000 etc) at the prices on engines, and even rockets themselves I was a bit disgruntled with the prices we pay in Australia.

For example the Estes 'Blast off flight pack' in Australia sells for on average around $110 (online example:

but sells for as little as $44AU overseas (online example:
Another example is single 3-rocket packs of Estes engines; a pack of 3 'C6-5's sell for around $19 locally (online example:
and as low as $7AU overseas. We would be happy to buy from overseas and wait a month or so for delivery, but noone seems to be able to ship engines internationally (HAZMAT reasons obviously).

Are we destined to be screwed by high prices, or is there a local alternative available? We wouldn't mind buying in bulk if it means we can get a half decent price. ps. Is there any active rocket associations in NSW currently?

Reply to
Simon

It's worse than you think. The prices in the U.S. can be very cheap compared to over seas....

Flight Pack at Michael's $22.

C6-5 at Wal-Mart regular price: $4.97. I get them for $4.48, less when on sale.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

Thanks for rubbing it in Randy, much appreciated.. NOT! :)

If only we could get them shipped somehow. None of you US guys are planning to row to Australia anytime soon by chance..?

Reply to
Simon

Sorry. : )

Back about 1998, well before 9-11 and the crackdown on all things powder, I sent a good size shipment of kits and a few engines to Tom Matley, who was at the time, president of the New South Wales Rocketry Association. I still have the money order packet someplace. It was about the time of the great rmr auction frenzy. I haven't heard from him in quite some time now. Tom & I exchanged many emails and he was lamenting the cost there and how it was hampering the hobby. I assume there is a stiff tariff that's driving the price up, and not just the shipping alone.

Anyway, all things considered, I was amazed at the difference in price, even then. We were mainly trying to get some OOP kits down there, that just weren't available in Australia at any price. I think the main reason he was able to get them for the club and local members, was the fact that they purchased in bulk and I talked to a local hobby store owner that cut us a deal because they were going to Australia. For a long time he got a kick out of telling people he owned an "international hobby store."

It's probably still possible to ship to you directly, even with tons of red tape but in order to afford it, may require a much larger shipment than most individuals would want to make.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

Simon,

I sent you a private email and invite you to check out FlisKits.com

I can't speak to the motor issue, but shipping kits and parts should

*not* be a problem. At least from a postage point of view.

I just ran a quick check and to send a 1.8 pound package to Australia costs $13.60 and will get it there in 4-7 days...

In any event, contact me through our web site if we can be of any help. jim

Reply to
jflis