bad news: model rocket starts 2-alarm fire

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050820/NEWS/508200334/1001
oops
shockie B)

Sad...nothing any of us enjoy hearing about. Really sad for the kids of the town, though...they're the ones who really lose out when things like this occur. To be treated as vandals for firing off a rocket, my God, they'd probably be less chastised if they were caught smoking some Maui Wowee.
OOPS ... you're dead ...
Yuck Yuck Yuck ... these kids are DEFINATELY NAR members from the start!
OMFG ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... x a google number, that 1 with 1 billions zeros after it!
Just a matter of time, a kid with a low power (toy) rocket set is going to kill someone!
These kids need to be taken and placed in to a TRA Prefect before they kill someone!
TRA members ... ASSEMBLE! We need to finally step up and take responcibility for rocketry as NAR just doesn't seem to be burning on all engines. Now yes, NAR didn't have anything to do with this fire, but NAR will not step up to the plate and publically state ... Model Rockets CAN be a danger. Even their illustrious leader has gone on record with the press, "Model Rockets pose no danger to anyone". What a "F"ing Fool this Bunny is. Just a matter of time and you NAR people ... just a matter of time ... someone will DIE because of the lax and protective posture of NAR for IT'S realm of flying.
Why a A8-3 could never hurt any body ... its those red neck wanna be truck driving SUV polluting, tabacco using High Power rockets people that are to blame for all the ills of rocketry. Why if it wasn't for those "idiot rocketeers" and their Balls Experimental flight to space launches, and their 8 - 12 inch diameter N x 3 motor launches, the mean ole BATF wouldn't be bothering us and our tame innocent SAFE A, B, and C motors. Why we voted for Clinton and Kerry, so why is the government giving us the shake down?!
Just a matter of time NAR, some kid in a backyard, will indirectly kill someone with SAFE/SANE NAR approved motors ... why? Because they are SOOOOOO SAFE!
Weird, Black Rock is 70 miles from the nearest town ... I guess a HPR kit could drift 70 mi, on fire, then land on a roof/field and do damage/death ... no I don't think so. TRA launches are ranges are done the way they should be ... away from the public and property ... the way they should be. Maybe those kids held the rocket and counted down to 2 then ran as the button was pushed ... perhaps they saw the "NAR HIJINX" video and got the idea from that?
Who knows, but what we do know is that NAR and its cavalier attitude to the science, and sport of rocketry, is going to be its eventual downfall. You mark my words ... MARK them cause they will come back to bite you back in the "NAR ASS" ... just a matter of time.
And the beat goes on ...
shockwaveriderz wrote:

You know, its funny.
Some kids who have nothing to do with NAR start a fire, and its NARs fault.
Someone does something stupid on a TRA range during a TRA event, and its 'He isn't TRA, he's just a guy with too much money!'
I love trolls.
I don't think lunarlos here actully flies rockets, as he seems to be rather ignorant about them in general. Perhaps he's related to Iz?
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:
>Lots of BS.
No No No ... Iz is Jerry's other usenet ID. This is mine and mine alone :)
Now go back to your B4-4 and leave the REAL rocketry to the people who know :)
Lunar "not Iz-Jerry" Bob

Then we all need to leave it to NASA, ESA and Russia. THAT'S REAL rocketry. This is a hobby.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
I'm with you..where the hell does Tripoli/NAR fit into this situation? It's KIDS -- acting of their own volition, attempting to venture off on their own in a hobby in which they probably just never had any education in...just a lack of guidance. And, why try to stir the pot with all this partisan bull***t anyway? Inflecting that one group is superlative to the other does nothing but insinuate to newcomers that politics should dictate their foray into this hobby. Gee, you think maybe THIS has something to do with why people are Not renewing memberships and fading out of the hobby? Quite frankly, if I were a member of TRA, I'd hardly want this 'lunar bob' guy speaking as a representative on my behalf...just a few fries shy of a Happy Meal.../;>}
Very phunny ... NAR is still going into the toilet anyways ... TRA mebership is rising ... while NAR membership is shrinking ... I know a winner when I see one ... see you at LDRS ...
LDRS - Large DANGEROUS Rockets ... dam straight ... and don't you forget it!

if they're dangerous, they should be regulated!
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:07:41 -0500, Glen Overby

Bullshit.
If they're dangerous, they should be used carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.
Circular saws are dangerous, but we don't regulate circular saws. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.
Barbecues are dangerous, but we don't regulate barbecues. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.
Axes are dangerous, but we don't regulate axes. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.
Hobby rockets have a much better safety record than any of those other "dangerous items". Why would you willingly invite government oversight of your hobby activities? It's just as silly as thinking that a "barbecue grill user permit" would make any sort of sense....
- Rick "Calling it like I see it" Dickinson
--
Rick Dickinson - snipped-for-privacy@notesguy.com
National Association of Rocketry (NAR) # 73975 Level 2

Unless you try to light one in under 3 seconds, in which case the JBGTs make you take the information off the net and not put it back anywhere else :-(

TRA agrees. Hence the unneeded ATF permits at all levels, starting with TMT, despite the lawsuit!!!!

I think lunarlos is just trying to be funny...
But, it would be the NAR's "fault" in the sence that in this case the NAR failed to achieve thier purpose of safety and education in sport rocketry.

They don't. Neither one has anything to do with this.

Or the desire to be safe. Kids do stupid things.

Can you say troll?

It can't help but most flyers have no idea about rmr.

He doesn't speak for anyone but himself.
I know quite a few of TRA flyers and none of them would ever spew like this and they are very supportive of NAR. Many hold dual memberships in NAR clubs. They work very well together.

Maybe but Happy Meals are Bob's venue. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
John Bowles wrote:

Considering their opposing views on TRA, lunarlos is probably the Bizarro Iz.

You got to compare every jerk that wanders through this newsgroup with someone you don't like. What a maroon. In case you haven't noticed, this lunarlos jerk is a TRA lackie like you, not an NAR weenie.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Hey! At least he is consistent.
Jerry

"Wrong. You don't get to decide the cert/decert rules. That's for the certifying authority to decide." - Ray Dunakin
Bob Kaplow wrote:

First off, I was not the one who compared lunarlos to Iz. That was John Bowles, as you can easily see if you'd actually bothered to read the whole thing before posting a knee-jerk response. Secondly, my reply was to point out the very thing that you mention -- that lunarlos view of TRA is the polar opposite of Izzie's. (Maybe you didn't understand the "Bizarro" reference, which is from the old Superman comics.)

At least you "get it" John.
Dude, put the crack pipe down and just step away.....far far away.
Exactly how long have you been a TRA member? Do you actually fly rockets? Because I'm betting your only purpose here is just to troll troll troll..... As if that's different from a few others :(
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75