bad news: model rocket starts 2-alarm fire

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050820/NEWS/508200334/1001

oops

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Sad...nothing any of us enjoy hearing about. Really sad for the kids of the town, though...they're the ones who really lose out when things like this occur. To be treated as vandals for firing off a rocket, my God, they'd probably be less chastised if they were caught smoking some Maui Wowee.

Reply to
bob352

OOPS ... you're dead ...

Yuck Yuck Yuck ... these kids are DEFINATELY NAR members from the start!

OMFG ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... I told you so ... x a google number, that 1 with 1 billions zeros after it!

Just a matter of time, a kid with a low power (toy) rocket set is going to kill someone!

These kids need to be taken and placed in to a TRA Prefect before they kill someone!

TRA members ... ASSEMBLE! We need to finally step up and take responcibility for rocketry as NAR just doesn't seem to be burning on all engines. Now yes, NAR didn't have anything to do with this fire, but NAR will not step up to the plate and publically state ... Model Rockets CAN be a danger. Even their illustrious leader has gone on record with the press, "Model Rockets pose no danger to anyone". What a "F"ing Fool this Bunny is. Just a matter of time and you NAR people ... just a matter of time ... someone will DIE because of the lax and protective posture of NAR for IT'S realm of flying.

Why a A8-3 could never hurt any body ... its those red neck wanna be truck driving SUV polluting, tabacco using High Power rockets people that are to blame for all the ills of rocketry. Why if it wasn't for those "idiot rocketeers" and their Balls Experimental flight to space launches, and their 8 - 12 inch diameter N x 3 motor launches, the mean ole BATF wouldn't be bothering us and our tame innocent SAFE A, B, and C motors. Why we voted for Clinton and Kerry, so why is the government giving us the shake down?!

Just a matter of time NAR, some kid in a backyard, will indirectly kill someone with SAFE/SANE NAR approved motors ... why? Because they are SOOOOOO SAFE!

Weird, Black Rock is 70 miles from the nearest town ... I guess a HPR kit could drift 70 mi, on fire, then land on a roof/field and do damage/death ... no I don't think so. TRA launches are ranges are done the way they should be ... away from the public and property ... the way they should be. Maybe those kids held the rocket and counted down to 2 then ran as the button was pushed ... perhaps they saw the "NAR HIJINX" video and got the idea from that?

Who knows, but what we do know is that NAR and its cavalier attitude to the science, and sport of rocketry, is going to be its eventual downfall. You mark my words ... MARK them cause they will come back to bite you back in the "NAR ASS" ... just a matter of time.

And the beat goes on ...

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
lunarlos

You know, its funny.

Some kids who have nothing to do with NAR start a fire, and its NARs fault.

Someone does something stupid on a TRA range during a TRA event, and its 'He isn't TRA, he's just a guy with too much money!'

I love trolls.

I don't think lunarlos here actully flies rockets, as he seems to be rather ignorant about them in general. Perhaps he's related to Iz?

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Reply to
John Bowles

No No No ... Iz is Jerry's other usenet ID. This is mine and mine alone :)

Now go back to your B4-4 and leave the REAL rocketry to the people who know :)

Lunar "not Iz-Jerry" Bob

Reply to
lunarlos

I'm with you..where the hell does Tripoli/NAR fit into this situation? It's KIDS -- acting of their own volition, attempting to venture off on their own in a hobby in which they probably just never had any education in...just a lack of guidance. And, why try to stir the pot with all this partisan bull***t anyway? Inflecting that one group is superlative to the other does nothing but insinuate to newcomers that politics should dictate their foray into this hobby. Gee, you think maybe THIS has something to do with why people are Not renewing memberships and fading out of the hobby? Quite frankly, if I were a member of TRA, I'd hardly want this 'lunar bob' guy speaking as a representative on my behalf...just a few fries shy of a Happy Meal.../;>}

Reply to
bob352

Very phunny ... NAR is still going into the toilet anyways ... TRA mebership is rising ... while NAR membership is shrinking ... I know a winner when I see one ... see you at LDRS ...

LDRS - Large DANGEROUS Rockets ... dam straight ... and don't you forget it!

Reply to
lunarlos

Dude, put the crack pipe down and just step away.....far far away.

Exactly how long have you been a TRA member? Do you actually fly rockets? Because I'm betting your only purpose here is just to troll troll troll..... As if that's different from a few others :(

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I think lunarlos is just trying to be funny...

But, it would be the NAR's "fault" in the sence that in this case the NAR failed to achieve thier purpose of safety and education in sport rocketry.

Reply to
Alan Jones

< ...snip>

What a revealing post. When school starts up again, I recommend that you do more English, Math, and Physics homework and less posting to USENET.

Just for practice, let's identify what you would actually do if TRA members answered your call to assemble and TRA took "responcibility" for rocketry.

What would you do? You are "in charge" of whatever it is that you believe the NAR is "in charge" of now. What changes in rocketry would you make to prevent a kid from indirectly killing someone with an A8-3 powered modroc?

Now, I realize this is an adult question, but adults are expected to have some idea of how to solve problems they recognize and complain about. Some hints for your endeavor: 1) Identify the lax safety requirements in the current NAR Safety Code which promote unsafe practices. 2) Discuss potential scenarios based upon those unsafe practices. 3) Identify the TRA Safety Code requirements which mitigate or eliminate similar dangers. 4) State your proposed solutions to the problems you identified.

Or, just keep trolling with Daddy's computer.

Reply to
Gary

Of course, you missed the biggest difference between the NAR and the TRA. After this post, you could still join the NAR. Were it directed toward the TRA, you would be drummed out for criticism and revealing the secret handshake.

-Larry Curcio

Reply to
Larry Curcio

(snip)

And apparently you just can't wait for that to happen. Would you stand in front of the involved families and act like this?

I expect rocketeers to act much more maturely than you do, and ALL of those with whom I fly (whether NAR, TRA, neither) already do. I would trust them to respond well in an accident. You can't be trusted, accident or not.

Reply to
Howdy

Reply to
Will Marchant

Then we all need to leave it to NASA, ESA and Russia. THAT'S REAL rocketry. This is a hobby.

Randy

<randyolb

if they're dangerous, they should be regulated!

Reply to
Glen Overby

They don't. Neither one has anything to do with this.

Or the desire to be safe. Kids do stupid things.

Can you say troll?

It can't help but most flyers have no idea about rmr.

He doesn't speak for anyone but himself.

I know quite a few of TRA flyers and none of them would ever spew like this and they are very supportive of NAR. Many hold dual memberships in NAR clubs. They work very well together.

Maybe but Happy Meals are Bob's venue. ; )

Randy

<randyolb

I'd be really interested to know HOW this happened. Were the kids using fuse instead of electric ignition? No blast deflector? Was the fire started by the alunch, or was theis an ejection-prang incident.

This is exactly the kind of incident that needs to be investigated by our new safety committee so the cause can be understood, and prevented in the future.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Maybe a warhead made from match sticks or something similar?

Randy

<randyolb

After a careful review of the story, the key may be '"The father came up and talked to us," Holmstrom said. "We found the rocket where the fire started."'

If the rocket was at the source of the fire, then it either never left the pad, or more likely the fire was at the landing site. Power prang, ejection on the ground, or smoldering from use of flammable wadding?

I forwarded the article to the "spanish inquisition"...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Bullshit.

If they're dangerous, they should be used carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.

Circular saws are dangerous, but we don't regulate circular saws. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.

Barbecues are dangerous, but we don't regulate barbecues. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.

Axes are dangerous, but we don't regulate axes. We use them carefully, and with appropriate safety precautions.

Hobby rockets have a much better safety record than any of those other "dangerous items". Why would you willingly invite government oversight of your hobby activities? It's just as silly as thinking that a "barbecue grill user permit" would make any sort of sense....

- Rick "Calling it like I see it" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson