OT? 2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank

local story. huh, the first time i read this story i thought it said they were cutting an oil tank.

2 men severely burned when spark ignites oil tank By Paul Brooks also by Stephen Sacco

Published: 2:00 AM - 04/13/10 MALDEN-ON-HUDSON - A 275-gallon waste oil tank at Steyer's Hudson Valley Automotive exploded Monday, severely burning two mechanics. Scott Kammerzell, 39, of Palenville, was flown to Westchester Medical Center in critical condition and Brian Wright, 44, of Saugerties, was flown to Albany Medical Center in serious condition, state police said. A third mechanic, Steven Steyer, 21, of Saugerties, suffered a cut to his ear and minor burns and was taken to Kingston Hospital for treatment. Firefighters were on the scene within four minutes. The building at 468 Malden Turnpike sustained only minor damage. "They were lucky the whole building was not leveled," said Randy Ricks, chief of the Centerville-Cedar Grove Fire Department. Troopers said the 1:28 p.m. explosion was caused by a spark from metal cutting that ignited gas in the tank.

Reply to
William Wixon

Why is gasoline in a waste oil tank?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Presumably waste MOTOR oil. That smell you get from the old black stuff when you change oil is gas or its residue. If you're really unlucky and have a stuck ring, bad carb or fuel injection, there could be a lot of raw gas in there, wouldn't be unheard of for somebody to roll into a repair shop with those problems. Most joints I've been in that recycle waste motor oil have the tanks vented to the outside, though. Apparently not the case here. And guys do put most any waste petroleum product in those tanks, too.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

In an automotive shop I can see it happening if oil gets diluted with gas on an engine that gets "flooded" - but I thought this was an industrial lubricant tank????

Reply to
clare

You can get the correct conditions to blow up a diesel tank also. Guy working for my dad was welding the fuel tank for a Hopto many years ago, in downtown San Francisco. The tank blew out the side. Broke lots of windows, but the welder did not get injured. They were all surprised the diesel tank went.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Welding ON the tank - sure - you get it hot enough to vapourize the fuel oil and you have a real bomb.

A spark won't do it though.

Reply to
clare

Not sure we ever got the real story. Butt---- if some of that "waste oil" came from an old engine, it could have had a high percentage of gasoline in it. for a while, my Ford 4000 backhoe had a plugged up gas tank cap. When the engine and tank got hot, the pressure pushed gasoline in raw. When I discovered the problem and checked the oil, I had about 3 extra quarts in the sump.

Pete Stanaitis

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.> >

Reply to
spaco

i haven't seen any follow up articles. newspapers so often get the real details and facts wrong huh? yeah, really. me too. whew! huge scary learning experience. one time, cutting the grass, lawnmower stalled, stupidly i forgot to turn off the key, left it there for several hours, came back and... it was a long time ago, i think i had trouble starting it... can't remember... but i do remember i finally DID get it started (maybe i had to jump the solenoid?) and black thin "oil" was *SPEWING* out the pvc valve connector (and other orifices)(i think i had removed the air cleaner to see what was up) ALL OVER the engine, it was terrifying. i was so afraid (i think at that point i figured out it was gasoline) it was going to burst into flame. what had happened was the fuel pump had stayed on (when i neglected to turn off the key) and the needle valve in the carb wasn't seating correctly and it overflowed down the carb and (somehow?) filled the crankcase with gasoline. was very scary.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon