Engine oil burning mystery

The engine is in a 1990s Honda H5013 tractor. This is a small tractor with a 13 HP air cooled engine. The tractor sat for 5 years in my
brother's yard without being started or moved . My son went down to California, near Salinas, and picked it up. After only a little work, like changing the oil, draining the old gas from the tank, and putting in a battery the thing started up and ran pretty well. It burned oil when first started but then this stopped. Now that it's up here in WA I cleaned the carb real well, and my son adjusted the valves, were only a little loose, only .001". The thing starts up easy and runs well but still burns oil intermittently. When my son adjusted the valves we saw no oil pooling under the valve cover so I don't think oil is being sucked past the intake valve stem. But I could be wrong. I checked the oil level and I don't think it is over filled. I am checking the oil level according to the dirctions in the manual. Yesterday I drove it down the hill to my neighbor's house and it really started smoking. Then as I drove up his driveway the smoking lessened. The downhill slope and uphill slope were not very steep slopes. The smoking is for sure oil smoke, white and thick in this case, it's not the black smoke you see from an overly rich gas mixture. Like I said, it's intermittent. I will be driving on a level slope and the engine will start pumping out smoke for a while and then stop. Sometimes there is a lot of smoke and sometimes just a little and sometimes none at all. Aside from the smoke the tractor is a great little machine, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, locking rear diff, and is the one I want to add hydraulic blade swiveling to. Since the blade only descends by gravity I want to add a cylinder to push the blade down too. Any thoughts? Thanks, Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote on 10/8/2018 7:33 PM:

Burning oil should be blue smoke.
If you are losing oil, you may want to check the oil drain plug to see if it has the proper washer so that oil won't come out from the drain plug while the tractor is vibrating.
Try tightening all the nuts and bolts around the engine block to prevent leaking through the gaskets.
Use thicker oil like 10W-40 may help. 10W-40 is allowed for a wide range of temperature as indicated on page 27 of the owner's manual.
<http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31752650.pdf
WGtLZ?? ? ???? ????? ???? ?????? ? ?? BMXF7 wrote on 10/8/2018 8:22 PM:

icked it up.

and my son

pooling under the

r filled. I am

house and it

in this case,

n a level slope

ittle machine, 4

On page 97 (Troubleshooting)
Excessive oil consumption
scosity of oil (see p.27)
ss
ed Honda dealer.
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 20:38:32 -0400, v9Z2Z?? ? ?????? ??????? ? ??VU9Mc

This tractor sat for several years - I'd definitely try the sticky ring solution before digging any deaper.
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 20:22:15 -0400, WGtLZ?? ? ?????? ??????? ? ??BMXF7

The reason the smoke looked white is because there was so much smoke at first. When it dies down it turns blue. If the Seafoam doesn't work I'll try MMO. Eric
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 16:33:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

sticking rings??? Put some MMO in the oil and run some through the intake - mabee put some seafoam through the intake.

I put some Seafoam in the oil and gas. I'll try the intake idea too. Thanks. I'm hoping the engine just needs to run a while with the Seafoam in it. I was wondering if there was anything else I might have missed. Eric
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 18:40:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Is the smoke when traveling on a slope because the oil is getting blown through the crank case breather into the air filter housing, then getting breathed in when the slope is right? That'd line up with sticking rings as well.
Mark Rand RTFM