How do we attract new flyers?

At LDRS, there was a minimal amount of younger flyers, say in the 18-25 age group. Before we know it, we DOB's'll be towing out our BFR's behind our electric wheelchairs.

What do you think we should/could/would do to attract some REAL new blood?

Reply to
Gene

Get the US Government to stop treating us like terrorists.

Reply to
Hidalgo

Most fathers at the local R/C club take their boys and girls with them from time to time. They are mildly interested, but not for long as the hormones kick in.

Later, when they get about 28, they might take up the R/C flying they did with their Dad years ago.

Or they might just take up another hobby. We do have one or two 28 something 's in our local club that were fly/watch alongs 15-20 years ago.

But we have lots of 29-37 year olds that never were exposed to hobbys at youth directly.

But they were very interested when they got to the point of looking for a hobby in their life.

The market research done by the hobby vendor trade association shows the Target age for entry in R/C airplanes to be 28-44.

I feel that HPR needs to reach this market also, and make sure they take their boys and girls to the flying field with them.

Hi-Power rockets should be trying to reach for the same market that R/C airplanes shoots for.

The more members of the target audience for aero hobbies we can bring into HPR rockets today, the more youngsters of those families can be brought along in the next generation.

We can then teach the 30 something's while we are in our wheel chairs watching them spend their money on that

U-Rode-Ium U238 modulated 150mm motor out at the away cell.

ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

According to Hidalgo :

I think it would be useful to see if the NAR or TRA can finesse their rules to permit younger HPR fliers without running afoul of US govt. paranoia.

And I think they can do it.

Canada introduced "junior high power" certification a few years back, where kids 14+ could cert CAR L1/2 (up to I) and 16+ CAR L3 (J-K). They do _exactly_ the same test as the adults. The only restriction is that the motor itself must be handled (ie: assembled/installed) by an adult HPR cert holder of same level or higher, and obviously can't buy the motors either.

This is of particular interest to me because our son passed his CAR L1 written test (doing better than most adults) at age 12 and his CAR L1 cert flight at age 13 (we held off submitting the papers until he was 14) and his CAR L2 cert at 14. His scratch rocket building&design expertise has just blown past mine (and I'm CAR L3).

His certification card is of great incentive in school. He's even attended an advanced science course at the University run by the aerospace engineering department. His math and science marks are great. He has a practical application for it!

Yet, under the TRA rules that will be in effect, he won't be able to fly HPR at LDRS24 in his _own_ country!

Under TRA rules, a teen and an adult can both appear on a flight card. It seems to me that a simple declaration from the adult saying that the teen did all of the work except for handling the motor should suffice both for certification for HPR of the teen, and keep ATF et. al. happy.

I talked to a TRA BOD member about having the TRA rules say "subject to age restrictions for the jurisdiction flown", but he doesn't see that possible.

Greg's restriction at LDRS24 may have little real impact (I'll just cosign everything), but it's a considerable disincentive. He plans to be CAR L3 by then, but if not, we'll have to see if CAR will accept an L3 flight using a TRA flight card cosigned by CAR cert holder observers.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

They already can fly HPR at TRA launches. They just can't be certified.

Sure he can. I think you've either been misinformed, or have misunderstood something.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I think part of the problem is that NFPA restricts high power to 18 & older. Many of the kids that were interested in rocketry when they were younger have lost interest because of this and by the time they're 18, the hormones have taken over.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Well, have the two 'governing bodies' get their heads out in the fresh air and allow them to cert. Give the kids a goal. Try to stay in line with what is really happening in the real world.

MAKE IT OFFICIAL!! Make it 'look' like you're trying to attract kids. Make it appear you are a little bit forward looking. Or continue to have them build in secret. If it's THEIR build it should be THEIR name on the flight card, not grandpa who's lending his name so the kid can fly. Or sit there do nothing and watch little change in the number of junior flyers and they can keep their heads resting where they've been for quite some time.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I've contacted them about this. Have you? A few people sounding off here doesn't have the same impact as a bunch of people contacting the leaders of their organization.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Not require unneeded explosives permits?

Acquireable ONLY by financially secure adults with clean backgrounds AND considerable real estate.

Assuming you need "explosives" at all.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Everybody is a perp to the government.

The constitution reminds us to NEVER trust them, remember??

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

TRA always restricts things well beyond the law. For no good reason either.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That proposal is contrary to policy and practice.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes. Numerous times over the years.

And at the NFPA committee as well.

Jerry

Walk and talk.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Precisely.

I know there's a lot of interest in getting younger blood into HPR here, but even BP stuff generates interest. I know many teenagers and younger kids (even some adults) who would fly, if they could.

The FAA in my area has restricted even modroc flying. Yes, modrocs. Yes, even with the FAR 101.1 "exemption". For terrorist reasons. Of course, this aids the aim of the terrorists, but that fact is lost on the bureaucracy.

Younger people want immediate gratification. They are not apt to wait for once or twice a month launches at distant section sites. There are simply too many other interests which they can pursue without having to wait.

Its sad and frustrating.

Reply to
Gary

what area is this and what reason of protection are they using to do this ?

I.E, is your field next to the assembly building ?

Reply to
almax

East Denver (Aurora). Although I think there's a signpost up ahead that says "Twilight Zone".

Justification? FAR 101.1 itself:

101.1(3)(ii)(d) Operated in a manner that does not create a hazard to persons, property, or other aircraft.

FAA: "ANY rocket launch will pose a harzard to aircraft as the pilots/passengers may perceive it to be an attack. There are great concerns in the aviation community over MANPADS. A visible smoke trail may prompt a pilot to make sudden maneuvers or perform "go arounds".

The location is over seven miles from DIA, three miles from an AFB.

The FAA will not rescind a 500' AGL restriction which is a primary reason the City does not allow model rocket flights at the site in question. Or anywhere else on City lands in Aurora, except for School District activities. (Don't ask. As an educator, I don't want to open that can of worms with the City as I can, at least, do one time permit school launches.)

Reply to
Gary

Yes! Several times in the last year. NAR said something is gonna happen.....I was holding my breath, now I'm turning blue.....need......air......or.....

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

i thought it was wrong to be told that my son, who is part of my team, and works on every project with me, wasnt allowed to be near the pad when i was loading my rocket. I have scoured the rules and there is NOTHING that says he couldnt be there with me, even back at the safe distance where the launch took place...just a little FYI...but he still had the time of his life and is still talking about it. Jim

Reply to
JAO6469

Ah, what is done in the name of insurance......I agree with you....he should have been allowed to help prep and load, then could have gone to a safe spot for the big show.....then there was that bowling ball thing, I really don't care if I don't see another one despite the fact it takes building and materials to the limit.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

They have a goal -- flying high power rockets. Certs are not a goal, they are simply a means to an end, despite the efforts of some adults to treat certs like merit badges.

Reply to
RayDunakin