How do we attract new flyers?

Allow us Heretics in. Here in Oztralia I have a group of about 5 fifteen yo's that fly Expermtental and Amatuer rockets. But they (and me) are not allowed to join Tripoli or any other group because we use metal, make fuel and engage in other Heresy. I would suggest the numbers on the US of A would be larger.

Look at your forefathers in the Rocket world and replicate them. Goddard used Steel constrution and liquid fuel. As Saddam Hussien says in South Park " You need to relax fella"

Reply to
Michael Mackay-Blair

ieas.org

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

[under the iron fist control of self appointed leaders]
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So you are WITNESS the rules are enforced arbitrarily and made up at will.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Without the knowledge or consent of the insurance company and without reading the contract BTW.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Amos?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I responded:

Jerry added:

No. Under simple rules set by adults. Maybe you think that any kid should be able to buy any high power motor he wants and use it any way he pleases without adult supervision, but I'm sure you'll find that most actual grownups do not agree.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Michael Mackay-Blair wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Big Fine babbled:

Jerry, quit hijacking every thread for you own demented rantings. You may find this hard to believe, but not everything in this world is about you.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Ray

I have a 13 year old who is eagerly looking forward to that little cert thing which denotes from adults he can handle H and I motors. It is his goal. Then his goal will be J-K motors, another goal. Kids must set and attain goals. Kids are concrete oriented, not abstraction oriented. Have your kids not related this to you? Have you never studied child development? Do you not understand what is important to youth? It appears not.

It was unkind that his Hybrid flight this weekend had to have someone else's name on it because of short sighted, uninformed, caught up in their own importance, stuffed shirts who really will never understand. You want *your* name on *your* photos, don't you Ray? How about if some dunces forced you to put someone else's name on them because of a short sighted policy? Yes a stretch, but maybe, just maybe you'll 'get it'. But somehow.......never mind.

Just cry about how there are no kids around because of an 'adult merit badge' mentality.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

All from oz.

ieas.org

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Didn't some of our forefathers get themselves killed and injured? Not exactly something I'd be encouraging youth or adults to replicate as a hobby.

-- Carl D Cravens ( snipped-for-privacy@phoenyx.net) Wichita, Kansas, US -- Read my model rocketry journal at

Carl D Cravens

Yep.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So actually flying an H or J motor is an abstraction, but a cert is a goal? Doesn't really make much sense to me. Seems to me flying a certain motor size is a more valid goal, and a more concrete achievement, than getting a number on a piece of paper.

In any case, he can still look forward to getting a piece of paper with a number on it when he's old enough, just like he can look forward to get a driver's license when he's 16. Consider it a long-term goal, and in the meantime he can achieve short-term goals such as flying that J motor.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I would hope that they are saving their money and focusing on earning degrees in Aerospace Engineering and related fields

I was actually wondering what the best (best value) power chair/scooter is for rocket range and recovery use (MR.LMR actually) is.

Get rid of the ugly old guys in their Speedos.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Reply to
Michael Mackay-Blair

Reply to
Michael Mackay-Blair

I can say, firsthand and from "on high", that TRA has zero interest in liquids.They are no doubt way more complex than solids (on several orders of magnitude, at least). I imagine our illustrious NFPA would be tough on that one. They'll leave that to the RRS boys. But liquids sure seem dang cool, tell ya that, mate...

Reply to
Gene

We need people that agree with us to hammer them with requests. Come on guys - don't be shy.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I'm guessing you're a long way from your early teen years. You look at things as an adult, they look at things from a different perspective. Stuffed shirts don't understand the difference either, as they keep alienating kids. What's important to young kids is a feeling of belonging.....you were young once, try to remember how important it was to be accepted in a circle of peers......if all it takes is a small test and a piece of paper for NAR/TRA to stop running a certain age kid out of the hobby why don't the wake up? Seems like a no brainer, but I repeat myself.

It would be more like if you took photos in Nevada and bcause you weren't a resident you were forced to put a Nevada resident's name on your pictures. Would you want someone else's name on your pics because of a short sighted rule? I doubt it. Credit should go to the person deserving it.

I'll do my best. 8

Reply to
Chuck Rudy