AMA-how to join.

I have to join the AMA in order to use our local field. I've been flying gliders out in the boonies for years so this insurance thing is sort of weird to me. Anyway, how do I join the AMA? How much are the dues? Please excuse this "nitro newbie" question and thanks. Dan Cutter

Reply to
dancutter

On 1/29/2005 12:17 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Here is the URL to their website

You should find a downloadable membership form for printing out there as well as the different catagories (open, youth, etc )

The dues (last I knew - I do it for 2 years at a time ) are $50.00 per year. Many clubs and/or flying sites will not let you fly unless you are an AMA member. No one wants to think about a car or house getting damaged, much less a person getting hurt. Their insurance provides "peace of mind" for the clubs and property owners.

Be aware that their insurance is a "secondary" insurance. It cuts in/pays AFTER your basic insurance has paid (Home owners, renters, etc )

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

As someone else mentioned the normal price is around 50 dollars a year. There is a introductory price of 19.95 I think going on for the first year of a new member. That would be a good bargin. I do believe if you sign up for two years they give you a small discount, but I would not do that until your next year especially if they have the 19.95 a month introductory price going on. Check out the website and it should have a link to that deal. John

Reply to
John Graham

Reply to
John Graham

Reply to
John Graham

You can also join online. Open AMA's website

and then mouse over Membership Services. The fourth line down is Membership Applications. Click on it and then select the 3rd option. I have used the online method now for 3 years with no problems and it only takes about 2 weeks for the card to reach me here in Texas. Dues are $58.00. Welcome to the "nitro" side of the house. Enjoy.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

The AMA requires a signed membership application for new members. He will still have to either mail or fax the application.

Reply to
C G

| I for got one thing about the membership. When you pay the first | year you will get a prorated membership for the second year. So if | your flying season is not until say april or May than you could send | your membership out then. This would give you a prorated amount due | when it comes time to renew the second year for the months of | Jan-March or April depending on when you joined. Kinda nice but also | something to think about when you are ready to join.

You also have to explicitly ask for it. My guess is that not many people realize this rule is there and so few ask. I'm also not sure who you'd ask, and it wouldn't surprise me if it took a few phone calls to figure out.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Thank you all for the info. I've been a fly on the wall for this group for awhile, seems like a nice set of folks-just like down at the flying field. Dan

Reply to
dancutter

Doug, It was automatic for me I never had to ask for it the card came in the mail with the prorated amount that I owed for renewal. I wonder if they changed things. I have only really been a member for Three years now. John

Reply to
John Graham

C G wrote:

CG, With todays technology this is one thing that the AMA should improve in that you have to send a signed form back to them. There are ways to use electronicly to allow a person to sign-up online and acknoledge that they agree with the rules and regulations of the AMA. For example before completeing the application send them to a second page that has the rules and regulations and a button to agree to this along with say a statement that by pushing the agree button they acknowledged and accept that the rules and regulations will be abided by and that this subsitutes their signature. I think there ought to be a way to give the person a print out that gives them a temp card so that they can also comeplete joining a local club too or go flying at a local field and not have to be worried about not being able to show proof of membership. There are a number of ways that this could be improved upon and made easier for the new member signing up. If we want to increase our membership than we need to look at technology to help us in the goal. Beyond local promotion to increase new members the base is going to always be a AMA membership requirement. So anything that we can do to make that easier is something we should embrace as a group. Why not allow local sactioned clubs to sign up new members in both the local club and also as AMA member too. I know that they started something with local hobby shops in that they could signup members but I do not remember if this was just a select number of shops or if any shop can ask to do this. This is a good program but it can also be improved upon and expanded. John

Reply to
John Graham

Actually, you don't. All you need to do is wait for them to send you the renewal form. Next year's price will be appropriately prorated. There is also a note on the renewal web site that you cannot renew online if you've received the prorated bill. So, for the first 2 years, it seems one has to send them some kind of paper.

Reply to
C G

No argument from me. I don't know if it's an AMA requirement, insurance company requirement, of if they're just building houses for their donkeys by requiring a paper signature.

I suspect their argument against this is how can they tell for sure that you are who you say you are? Not disagreeing with you, just trying to anticipate their response. Of course signatures can be forged, but this exposure doesn't seem to bother them. Go figure.

Yup, although as long as they are responsive with the membership cards, the wait is not too bad. This is something that could be done by the LHS. Kind of like the temporary tags a car dealer uses when you get a new car. LHS person collects the money, fills out the paperwork, puts name and expiration date on the temporary card, sends newbie off to fly and the paperwork on its way to the AMA. Not exactly rocket science.

And elimate some of the paperwork, and staff, at HQ? Surely you jest :-)

It sure can.

Reply to
C G